Can Ancient Methods of Grounding Protect Against Static Electricity?

In summary, Van Diemen's Land traditionally attached a large iron ball to the ankle with a chain, in an attempt to keep the gang well grounded.
Steven Ellet
TL;DR Summary
Get rid of static electricity without grounding strap.
I know there are straps with grounding wire(s) to protect sensitive equipment. I am trying to avoid being shocked by every doorknob I try to use. Right now I am just walking around barefoot to prevent this but that just leaves my feet cold. I have also tried using a piece of medal to reduce the pain of the shock. I am hoping for a bracelet or similar.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The problem is the synthetic soles on your shoes are very good insulators. You only need to modify one sole to be more conductive.

Take a fine carbon fibre thread and a sewing needle. Push or punch it from under the shoe to come out inside the shoe, (when you are not wearing it). The fibre will brush the floor and discharge you as you walk. You could use thick metal wire to test the concept first. I use carbon fibre because it is flexible, so it will not fracture, and it is resistive which reduces the chance I will be hurt by a real electric shock via my leg to ground later.

Or; take a few drops of dilute glycol antifreeze, as used for coolant in cars. Paint it on the side of the synthetic sole of your shoe so it forms a track from the floor to the stitching, across the synthetic sole material. That will remain moist by drawing water from the air, and so will discharge you at every step, long before you touch the door handle.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, hutchphd, berkeman and 2 others
Baluncore said:
Take a fine carbon fibre thread and a sewing needle. Push or punch it from under the shoe to come out inside the shoe, (when you are not wearing it). The fibre will brush the floor and discharge you as you walk.
Very cool DIY, Baluncore!

@Steven Ellet -- Here is a standard product that you can use instead to help discharge your body through your feet (very inexpensive):

https://www.ultrastatinc.com/ESD_Wrist_Straps_FAQ.html

1640563427221.png

Last edited:
Likes Baluncore
I'm trying not to suggest dragging a chain like Marley's ghost. More in keeping with the season than Carbon fiber! Perhaps heavier.

I've worked in settings with a conductive finish on the floor and attachments that fit on and in a persons shoe to maintain conduction to the floor. Saved us from wearing an ESD wrist strap. I eventually preferred the wrist strap.

hutchphd said:
I'm trying not to suggest dragging a chain like Marley's ghost. More in keeping with the season than Carbon fiber! Perhaps heavier.
In Van Diemen's Land they traditionally attached a large iron ball to the ankle with a chain, in an attempt to keep the gang well grounded. That may epigenetically explain why many Tasmanians are so afraid of lightning.

The first electrical distribution switchboard at Port Arthur was assembled on a slab of slate as the insulator. It went to scrap over 50 years ago, for the copper and brass, but the slab is handed on by those who still appreciate the electrical stone age. It now leans against my house, where it was placed by the previous custodian.

Likes Klystron, hutchphd and anorlunda

What is static electricity?

Static electricity is the build-up of electric charge on the surface of an object. It occurs when there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges, resulting in an electric field.

How does static electricity form?

Static electricity forms when two objects with different electrical charges come into contact or rub against each other. This causes the transfer of electrons between the two objects, resulting in one object becoming positively charged and the other becoming negatively charged.

What are the effects of static electricity?

The effects of static electricity can range from a mild shock when touching a metal object, to more severe consequences such as damage to electronic devices or even causing fires or explosions in certain environments. It can also cause discomfort or annoyance, such as clothes clinging to the body or hair standing on end.

How can static electricity be eliminated?

There are several methods for eliminating static electricity, such as using anti-static materials, grounding or ionizing the area, and controlling humidity levels. These methods help to neutralize the electric charge and prevent build-up.

Why is it important to eliminate static electricity?

Eliminating static electricity is important because it can cause harm to people and damage to equipment, especially in sensitive environments such as laboratories or manufacturing facilities. It can also disrupt electronic devices and interfere with their proper functioning. Additionally, reducing static electricity can improve safety and comfort for individuals.