Understanding Choi's Theorem and Notation in Matrix Theory

• B
  • Thread starter naima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary: It may be right that ##(E_{i,j})_{i,j}## is a tensor product or otherwise arranged array of matrices. I don't want to rule it out. I simply haven't seen a construction like this noted in coordinates. It would be a linear function of linear functions, and all in coordinates.
naima
Gold Member
I am reading the proof of the Choi's theorem in his own paper.
he first introduces ##E_{ij} ## as the nn null matrix but with a 1 at i,j.
Then he uses ##(E_{ij})_{1<=i,j <=n}##
he says that thi is a positive matrix. What is talking about?
Is it a matrix of matrices?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the notation means that 1<=i<=n and 1<=j<=n ie for an n x n matrix the i and j indices can have integer values between 1 and n.

naima said:
I am reading the proof of the Choi's theorem in his own paper.
he first introduces ##E_{ij} ## as the nn null matrix but with a 1 at i,j.
Then he uses ##(E_{ij})_{1<=i,j <=n}##
he says that thi is a positive matrix. What is talking about?
Is it a matrix of matrices?
I read this as ##E_{kl} = (\delta_{ki}\delta_{jl})_{i,j}## and ##(E_{ij})_{1<=i,j <=n}## as either an all one matrix or more likely the same as ##E_{ij}## with only the ranges of ##i## and ##j## added, as he considers non square matrices as well. A standard basis vector if you like.

There is no problem with the first definition. it is a n*n matrix with one "1".
Do you agree that the second is a n^2 * n^2 with n^2 "1".in it?

naima said:
Do you agree that the second is a n^2 * n^2 with n^2 "1".in it?
This would really surprise me. I think it is more like an ill-fated version of ##A=(a_{ij})_{1≤i≤n,1≤j≤n}##. However, I wouldn't bet on it.
What could be a reason to arrange the ##E_{ij}## like this, as a matrix of matrices?

I do not feel comfortable with the proof of the Choi's theorem.
But read the top of page 2. we have ##M_n(M_m)## which is a tensor product.
Choi says that this space contains
"n X n block matrices with m x m matrices as entries"

naima said:
I do not feel comfortable with the proof of the Choi's theorem.
But read the top of page 2. we have ##M_n(M_m)## which is a tensor product.
Choi says that this space contains
"n X n block matrices with m x m matrices as entries"
Yes, tensors can viewed this way:
## c \otimes d = cd## with scalars ##c,d## is a scalar.
##c \otimes v## with ##c## a scalar and ##v## a vector is a vector.
##v \otimes w## with ##v,w## vectors is a matrix (of rank 1).
##v \otimes A## with a vector ##v## and a matrix ##A## is a stack of weighted copies of ##A##.
##A \otimes B## with matrices ##A,B## are a four-dimensional array of coordinates.
... and so on ...
The rest of tensor spaces are linear combinations of those.

It may be right that ##(E_{i,j})_{i,j}## is a tensor product or otherwise arranged array of matrices. I don't want to rule it out. I simply haven't seen a construction like this noted in coordinates. It would be a linear function of linear functions, and all in coordinates.

Likes naima
In this http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic1533461.files/Chois%20Theorem-Bill.pdf

naima said:
In this http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic1533461.files/Chois%20Theorem-Bill.pdf
I don't know whether it is always like that. Rui Li's notations are new to me. E.g. I see ##A\otimes B## as a four-dimensional array, but this can't be put on paper. So he writes ##A \otimes B = (A_{ij}B)_{ij}##. This makes certainly sense though.
But I haven't heard of a generalized or partial trace as in ##A.3##. However, I'm not a physicist and a little bit allergic to coordinates, because they often hide the principle behind. And furthermore: it isn't important whether it is always the case or not, because Rui Li defines his notations and is consistent.

Related to Understanding Choi's Theorem and Notation in Matrix Theory

1. What is Choi's Theorem in Matrix Theory?

Choi's Theorem is a fundamental result in matrix theory that relates the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix to its diagonalization. It states that if a matrix is diagonalizable, then the eigenvalues of the matrix are the same as the diagonal entries of its diagonalized form.

2. What is the significance of Choi's Theorem in Matrix Theory?

Choi's Theorem is important because it provides a way to easily find the eigenvalues of a diagonalizable matrix. It also allows for the simplification of complex matrix equations and the identification of important properties of a matrix, such as its rank and determinant.

3. What is the notation used in Choi's Theorem?

The notation used in Choi's Theorem includes the use of the symbol λ to represent eigenvalues, the symbol v to represent eigenvectors, and the symbol A to represent the original matrix. It also involves the use of diagonal matrices and the transpose operation.

4. How is Choi's Theorem applied in practical situations?

Choi's Theorem is used in many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer science. It is often used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze the stability of dynamical systems, and perform data analysis and compression.

5. Are there any limitations to Choi's Theorem?

One limitation of Choi's Theorem is that it only applies to diagonalizable matrices. This means that not all matrices can be analyzed using this theorem. Additionally, the theorem only applies to square matrices, so it cannot be used for rectangular matrices.