What are the 6-inch metal rods hanging from bathroom ceilings?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
A.J.710
Messages
56
Reaction score
1
Sorry I don't have a picture right now. But this has had me wondering and I can't find anything online about it. In my college in all the bathrooms and laundry rooms I see these sensors in the ceiling which is just a 6" metal rod hanging. There are your regular smoke detectors and everything on the ceiling and then there are these things and I don't know what in the world they do. It just looks like your regular smoke detector frame with nothing but a metal rod hanging down.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a hydrogen sulfide detector. If levels get too high near the ceiling, the fire sprinklers activate. You are forewarned...