Why is L=2 not acceptable for carbon according to Hund's second rule?

• B
  • Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
In summary, the "top of the ladder" refers to the final state obtained by successive application of the raising ladder operator. The symmetry of this state, which is necessary for overall antisymmetrization, results in the constraint that the total orbital angular momentum (L) cannot equal 2 for carbon. This is because the only way to build the desired state is with a symmetric spin state, which conflicts with the need for an antisymmetric spatial state.
Haorong Wu
At Griffiths QM 3rd edition, page 215 Problem 5.18(b), it reads:

(b) Hund's second rule says that, for a given spin, the state with the highest total orbital angular momentum (L), consistent with overall antisymmetrization, will have the lowest energy. Why doesn't carbon have L=2? Hint: Note that the "top of the ladder" (##M_L = L##) is symmetric.

However, where the top of the ladder is mentioned in the book? I can locate the ladder operator part, but I cannot find something relating to the symmetry of the top of the ladder.

In the solution, it says :
... by going to the top of the ladder: ##|2 2>=|1 1>_1 |1 1>_2##

OK, I'm totally confused now.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "top of the ladder" is simply the final state obtained by successive application of the raising ladder operator.

The symmetry comes from the fact that the only way to build the ##| L = 2, M_L=2 \rangle## state from single-electron states is
$$
| L = 2, M_L=2 \rangle = | l = 1, m_l=1 \rangle \otimes | l = 1, m_l=1 \rangle
$$
That state is symmetric with respect to particle interchange. What constraint does that put on the spin part of the state?

Likes Haorong Wu
DrClaude said:
The "top of the ladder" is simply the final state obtained by successive application of the raising ladder operator.

The symmetry comes from the fact that the only way to build the ##| L = 2, M_L=2 \rangle## state from single-electron states is
$$
| L = 2, M_L=2 \rangle = | l = 1, m_l=1 \rangle \otimes | l = 1, m_l=1 \rangle
$$
That state is symmetric with respect to particle interchange. What constraint does that put on the spin part of the state?

Thanks, Drclaude.

I can see why it says ##M_L = L##, now.
I understand since ##S=1## is symmetrical, then the spatial state should be antisymmetrical, and then ##L=2## is unacceptable.

Haorong Wu said:
I understand since ##S=1## is symmetrical, then the spatial state should be antisymmetrical, and then ##L=2## is unacceptable.
Correct.

What is "top of the ladder"?

"Top of the ladder" is a phrase often used to describe the highest or most prestigious position or achievement in a particular field or organization.

What does it mean to reach "top of the ladder"?

Reaching "top of the ladder" means that an individual has achieved the highest level of success or recognition in their chosen field or organization.

How do you reach "top of the ladder"?

Reaching "top of the ladder" requires hard work, dedication, and often a combination of skills, experience, and opportunity. It may also involve setting and achieving specific goals, networking, and continuously learning and improving.

Is "top of the ladder" the same for everyone?

No, "top of the ladder" may have different meanings for different individuals, depending on their goals and aspirations. It can also vary across different industries and organizations.

Can someone stay at "top of the ladder" forever?

It is possible for someone to maintain their position at "top of the ladder" for a long time, but it is not guaranteed. As industries and organizations evolve, new challenges and opportunities may arise, requiring individuals to continuously adapt and strive for success.