Good TV Shows To Watch: Suggestions Wanted

• Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
In summary: I never would have guessed. I also like Merlin, Torchwood, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.In summary, the author has lately been unable to do much but sit around at home, so he's taken to watching TV shows on Hulu and elsewhere. He's run out of options and is hoping for some good suggestions. He's watched all of the good TV shows he was aware of and is running out of older shows to watch. He's also watched some he was not aware of.
Cyrus said:
God people, Law and Order. DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNN.

Ah... Like Ivan I don't really care for cop shows and the like very much. Same reason I have avoided CSI and 24. I've seen a couple episodes of Alias and didn't care for it. X-Files was cool because of all of the odd paranormal stuff though even that got old after a while. The same with Monk. It was a different kind of cop show but eventually got old. I really enjoyed The Practice because it focused on the lawyers and their court room arguments. Picket Fences jumped back and forth between the court room and the cops so I enjoyed that though when I started watching some episodes on Hulu it seemed a lot more cheesy than I remembered it being. I really likede Magnum PI when I was a kid though. :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
Ah... Like Ivan I don't really care for cop shows and the like very much. Same reason I have avoided CSI and 24. I've seen a couple episodes of Alias and didn't care for it. X-Files was cool because of all of the odd paranormal stuff though even that got old after a while. The same with Monk. It was a different kind of cop show but eventually got old. I really enjoyed The Practice because it focused on the lawyers and their court room arguments. Picket Fences jumped back and forth between the court room and the cops so I enjoyed that though when I started watching some episodes on Hulu it seemed a lot more cheesy than I remembered it being. I really likede Magnum PI when I was a kid though. :-)

You obviously have not watched Law and Order because you would def. like it. It is a lawer/cop show. It is NOT a cops catching robbers CSI like show.

Cyrus said:
You obviously have not watched Law and Order because you would def. like it. It is a lawer/cop show. It is NOT a cops catching robbers CSI like show.

I'll check it out then. Twenty seasons will give me lots of material.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I'll check it out then. Twenty seasons will give me lots of material.

The crimes always parallel what's going on in current news.

I cannot believe nobody has mentioned the best television show of all time: Seinfeld

Com'on...SEINFELD!

Last edited:
I enjoyed "The Pretender" series too when I was younger... and Macguyver (a lot younger) and the A-Team (a looot younger) and Magnum PI. But, those aren't really on TV any more, have to buy the box sets. I was also into Earth: Final Conflict for a little bit, oh and Dark Skies (scared the pants off me with the squid-like brain aliens!)

I'd watch Seinfeld, except I don't think he's funny, and his voice makes my ears bleed. I also can't stand cop or lawyer or hospital dramas unless they have a unique twist to them. Sci-fi is my favorite genre.

Some of my favorite series are ones I used to watch as a kid.
Buck Rogers
edit- Doctor Who (Watched this with my Mom)
edit- Fall Guy (watched this one with my Dad)
Tales of the Golden Monkey
The Greatest American Hero
Werewolf

The series I'm watching now that I'll remember 20 years from now... not many.
Dexter
Firefly
Fringe

I follow a couple of series, but they are really just time sinks. There are some decent shows but not many that I would be upset to miss an episode. I caught a few episodes of the animated series Clone Wars, and I think I may really like that also.

FireSky86 said:
I cannot believe nobody has mention the best television show of all time: Seinfeld

Com'on...SEINFELD!

Besides the first season, half of the last season, and the "Final Episode Disaster," Seinfeld was the funniest sitcom ever created. I feel sorry for those who don't enjoy it.

Chi Meson said:
Besides the first season, half of the last season, and the "Final Episode Disaster," Seinfeld was the funniest sitcom ever created. I feel sorry for those who don't enjoy it.

This is so true. Best sitcom EVER!

I liked Seinfeld and almost always got a good laugh out of it, but it never hooked me like Northern did.

I almost hate to admit it, but right now I am watching the early episodes of Lost in Space. As a kid I loved the show but never saw the first episodes of the series. While they do have a number of creative moments, which is what I remembered, the drama is mostly laughable. Obviously they didn't always use a science advisor; that, or the one they had spent a fair amount of time sitting in the corner turning green. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I liked Seinfeld and almost always got a good laugh out of it, but it never hooked me like Northern did.

I almost hate to admit it, but right now I am watching the early episodes of Lost in Space. As a kid I loved the show but never saw the first episodes of the series. While they do have a number of creative moments, which is what I remembered, the drama is mostly laughable. Obviously they didn't always use a science advisor; that, or the one they had spent a fair amount of time sitting in the corner turning green. :biggrin:

Same here. I much prefer Northern Exposure to Seinfeld. I would even prefer 3rd Rock to Seinfeld really.

You know while Babylon 5 is certainly a great show the acting really sucked. The fight scenes were terrible, like an overly dramatic roshambo contest. The spin-offs were the worst. Crusade was horrible and the aborted Legend of the Rangers was even worse.

Jump that forward to about 7:15. I can't help but laugh when I watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Action sci fi is supposed to be coming back to network TV with the ABC series V. It is a spin off from an 80's series of the same name.

http://abc.go.com/fallpreview/index?pn=v&partner=rm&cid=rm+google+v+abc_v

This was a show that I remember watching for a short time...maybe a season or two. At the time it seemed pretty good, but I'm sure it's not. :biggrin: Still, I saw that Netflix has it on DVD so I will have to take a look. It is a classic British Sci-Fi called, of all things, UFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8RfzkhqBLY

Oh god, I love that music. DOoT doot doo dooo "were solving crimes here people", doot de doo dodo dbeep bepe doot. TELE FAX WIRELESS COMMUNICATO coming in LIVE!

Whoa whoa whoa, what's this we have at 1:03 in the silver dress?

Cyrus said:
Whoa whoa whoa, what's this we have at 1:03 in the silver dress?

Hmmmm, it may be better than I was expecting. That is jogging a few memories now.

Chi Meson said:
I think what bothers me about it is that nobody has any feelings. Everything is supposed to be funny, but I don't see how people would ever react that way. The theme for every episode is that they find themselves in some mundane life situation and blow it all out of proportion. It's just humor for humor's sake, like situational slapstick where they bonk each other on the head with one-liners. The only thing funny about it is its absurdity, and that got old after a few episodes. It really is a show about nothing. It doesn't do it for me.

edward said:
Action sci fi is supposed to be coming back to network TV with the ABC series V. It is a spin off from an 80's series of the same name.

http://abc.go.com/fallpreview/index?pn=v&partner=rm&cid=rm+google+v+abc_v
I'll definitely be checking this one out.

I've really been enjoying West Wing. I was suprised by the number of familiar faces that make cameos in the series. John de Lancie and John Larroquette are two of my favourite actors. Oh and of course Edward James Olmos is great too. Most of the others I know I have seen but don't know their names and often can't pin down what I have seen them in such as the deaf actress that plays Joey. Now that I look her name is apparently Marlee Matlin. She's gorgeous. So is Lisa Edelstein. :swoon:

Huckleberry said:
I think what bothers me about it is that nobody has any feelings. Everything is supposed to be funny, but I don't see how people would ever react that way. The theme for every episode is that they find themselves in some mundane life situation and blow it all out of proportion. It's just humor for humor's sake, like situational slapstick where they bonk each other on the head with one-liners. The only thing funny about it is its absurdity, and that got old after a few episodes. It really is a show about nothing. It doesn't do it for me.

Fine.

But I disagree completely with your analysis.

I tend to disagree about Seinfeld as well. He is great at observational humor. While I do understand the point about slapstick, I think the show was more intelligent than that. It was at least as much social commentary as it was situational slapstick.

Glad to hear you are enjoying WW, SA. Dee Dee Myers, former WH Press Secretary, was one of the consultants for the show. She made the comment that we have never really gotten to see what life at the WH is like as we do with WW. Apparently the staff and writers put great effort into making the show as authentic as possible.

I like the play to the power of the Oval Office that they make as well. I have heard this referenced by people ranging from comedians to Senators: One cannot walk into the Oval Office without being a bit overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I tend to disagree about Seinfeld as well. He is great at observational humor. While I do understand the point about slapstick, I think the show was more intelligent than that. It was at least as much social commentary as it was situational slapstick.

Glad to hear you are enjoying WW, SA. Dee Dee Myers, former WH Press Secretary, was one of the consultants for the show. She made the comment that we have never really gotten to see what life at the WH is like as we do with WW. Apparently the staff and writers put great effort into making the show as authentic as possible.

I like the play to the power of the Oval Office that they make as well. I have heard this referenced by people ranging from comedians to Senators: One cannot walk into the Oval Office without being a bit overwhelmed.
I've enjoyed some Seinfeld. I found that a lot of it seemed rather lame or redundant eventually. That's usually how I wind up feeling about sitcoms though. I get bored of them. 3rd Rock was probably my favourite sitcom and I got bored of it too.

I like that West Wing highlights the continual struggle between doing what is right and what is politically savvy and the ethical dilemmas they find themselves in due to this. The idea that doing what is right may hurt your ability to actually accomplish what is right is an ethical tragedy that makes a good dramatic plot. A nice twist on the usual 'doing what is right with ill effect' plot.
So far I'd say that Toby Ziegler and Josh's secretary Donna are my favourite characters. Ainsley Hayes, the conservative columnist and lawyer that gets hired in second season, is pretty fun too. She hasn't had a very big role so I'm guessing she'll probably not be sticking around long.

Have you seen the episode where Ainsley meets Bartlet?

The relationship between Ziegler and Bartlet is probably one of the best in the series - often the heart of ethical dilemmas and moral paradoxes. Donna is great as well and they continue to run with her character... I do think the show loses a bit in the last two seasons, but all in all I thought it was excellent from start to finish.

Oh yes, I never saw 3rd Rock until recently, but I do like it. It is the only sitcom that I would be caught watching. Lithgow never disappoints.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Have you seen the episode where Ainsley meets Bartlet?

The relationship between Ziegler and Bartlet is probably one of the best in the series - often the heart of ethical dilemmas and moral paradoxes. Donna is great as well and they continue to run with her character... I do think the show loses a bit in the last two seasons, but all in all I thought it was excellent from start to finish.

Oh yes, I never saw 3rd Rock until recently, but I do like it. It is the only sitcom that I would be caught watching. Lithgow never disappoints.

"You know, a lot of people assumed you were hired because you were a blond, Republican sex kitten. They were obviously wrong." Seeing her dancing around in a bathrobe was actually a bit suprising.

Lithgow is definitely one of my favourite actors. And I just remembered that I still haven't seen the Don Quixote movie.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I've enjoyed some Seinfeld. I found that a lot of it seemed rather lame or redundant eventually. That's usually how I wind up feeling about sitcoms though. I get bored of them. 3rd Rock was probably my favourite sitcom and I got bored of it too.

Only once in a rare episode did I find Seinfeld funny (I've unfortunately been subjected to far more episodes than I would normally watch of a how I don't like because so many other people I know did like the show). Mostly, I felt the same way Huck did about it, that it was just something lame blown out of proportion for the sake of very forced humor. If they had done just a few minutes on a particular joke and moved on to another topic, I'd have probably enjoyed it, but the joke would keep on going way past the point of being funny and well into annoying, and then into the territory of being like that person who just doesn't know when to shut up and move on who everyone eventually just wants to slug to make them shut up.

Moonbear said:
Only once in a rare episode did I find Seinfeld funny (I've unfortunately been subjected to far more episodes than I would normally watch of a how I don't like because so many other people I know did like the show). Mostly, I felt the same way Huck did about it, that it was just something lame blown out of proportion for the sake of very forced humor. If they had done just a few minutes on a particular joke and moved on to another topic, I'd have probably enjoyed it, but the joke would keep on going way past the point of being funny and well into annoying, and then into the territory of being like that person who just doesn't know when to shut up and move on who everyone eventually just wants to slug to make them shut up.

Yeah, I tend to agree. When Seinfeld was funny, it could be really, really funny. But I could go a long time between those moments.

I always got a lot of laughs from The Muppets :smile:. Goofy humor, just for the sake of goofy humor, with a dash of sophistication...just a dash, though, not enough to spoil it.

Breaking Bad is easily one of the best shows on TV. Mad Men is also. AMC has very very good programs.

lisab said:
Yeah, I tend to agree. When Seinfeld was funny, it could be really, really funny. But I could go a long time between those moments.

I always got a lot of laughs from The Muppets :smile:. Goofy humor, just for the sake of goofy humor, with a dash of sophistication...just a dash, though, not enough to spoil it.

I liked The Muppet Show also. Yeah, it is humor for humor's sake, but it is light-hearted and friendly. They do their skit and move onto something fresh. The characters are endearing and have personality. The use of muppet actors provokes my imagination. I don't think the show would be nearly as interesting without them. It probably also didn't hurt that I was a child when I watched most of the episodes, not that it subtracts from the quality of the show at all, but it did make a large impression at an early age. It is sometimes silly, but in a fun and carefree kind of way that is appealing to me. I think I would enjoy it as much now as I did then.

I also liked Benny Hill and Monty Python. British humor in general is good. I have yet to watch The Office or Keeping Up Appearances, but they sound like something I might also enjoy. I'll get around to them eventually.

The best show I remember was about an Indian. There wasn't much action, but the image was clear. There were numbers and crosshairs, but that's all I remember. TV certainly has gone downhill since then.

jimmysnyder said:
The best show I remember was about an Indian. There wasn't much action, but the image was clear. There were numbers and crosshairs, but that's all I remember. TV certainly has gone downhill since then.
That one was VERY popular. They used to play it all night long up here. The theme song was a bit bland, but eventually, you got used to it.

<h2>1. What makes a TV show "good"?</h2><p>There are many factors that can contribute to a TV show being considered "good". These can include strong writing, compelling characters, engaging storylines, and high production value. Ultimately, what makes a TV show "good" is subjective and can vary from person to person.</p><h2>2. What are some popular TV shows that are considered "good"?</h2><p>Some popular TV shows that are widely considered to be "good" include Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Stranger Things, The Crown, and The Handmaid's Tale. However, what is considered "good" can vary depending on individual tastes and preferences.</p><h2>3. Are there any new or lesser-known TV shows that are worth watching?</h2><p>Yes, there are many new or lesser-known TV shows that are worth watching. Some examples include The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Killing Eve, The Good Place, and Mindhunter. It's always a good idea to explore new and lesser-known shows as you may discover hidden gems.</p><h2>4. Can you recommend a TV show based on a specific genre or theme?</h2><p>Yes, there are many TV shows that cater to specific genres or themes. For example, if you enjoy crime dramas, shows like True Detective, Fargo, and The Sopranos may be worth checking out. If you're interested in science fiction, shows like Black Mirror, Westworld, and The Expanse may be of interest to you.</p><h2>5. How do I find TV shows that are similar to ones I already like?</h2><p>One way to find TV shows that are similar to ones you already like is to use online recommendation engines or streaming services that offer personalized recommendations based on your viewing history. You can also ask friends or family members for recommendations, or join online communities dedicated to discussing TV shows to get suggestions from like-minded individuals.</p>

1. What makes a TV show "good"?

There are many factors that can contribute to a TV show being considered "good". These can include strong writing, compelling characters, engaging storylines, and high production value. Ultimately, what makes a TV show "good" is subjective and can vary from person to person.

2. What are some popular TV shows that are considered "good"?

Some popular TV shows that are widely considered to be "good" include Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Stranger Things, The Crown, and The Handmaid's Tale. However, what is considered "good" can vary depending on individual tastes and preferences.

3. Are there any new or lesser-known TV shows that are worth watching?

Yes, there are many new or lesser-known TV shows that are worth watching. Some examples include The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Killing Eve, The Good Place, and Mindhunter. It's always a good idea to explore new and lesser-known shows as you may discover hidden gems.

4. Can you recommend a TV show based on a specific genre or theme?

Yes, there are many TV shows that cater to specific genres or themes. For example, if you enjoy crime dramas, shows like True Detective, Fargo, and The Sopranos may be worth checking out. If you're interested in science fiction, shows like Black Mirror, Westworld, and The Expanse may be of interest to you.

5. How do I find TV shows that are similar to ones I already like?

One way to find TV shows that are similar to ones you already like is to use online recommendation engines or streaming services that offer personalized recommendations based on your viewing history. You can also ask friends or family members for recommendations, or join online communities dedicated to discussing TV shows to get suggestions from like-minded individuals.