Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What is water impact velocity formula?

1. Sep 11, 2018 #1
    Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to this forum and I am currently doing "student research project task" where I need to conduct my own experiment basically.

I am currently struggling to find a formula for an impact velocity. I hope there is someone in this forums that could help me.

What I have is water 50ml(which will be released from a burette), and the height above the ground surface 10cm.
    (I am currently in year 10 so if the formula is complicated please explain it further so I could understand the formula please)

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2018 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are releasing water drops slowly they will start at rest and accelerate due to gravity as they fall. Perhaps look up the SUVAT equations of motion on weikipedia. There is one that allows you to calculate the final velocity given the initial velocity, the acceleration and the distance (height).

If the water is pouring out quickly then the initial velocity has to be worked out and that's quite a bit harder (for a year 10).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted