What is wrong with this picture?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the conversation is about a new fence gate construction at a property being rebuilt near Silicon Valley. The gate has two main problems - it can easily be opened by a pedestrian and a vehicle, and it does not provide much security. The gate is also built in a way that makes it difficult to open and close, and it is unclear why it was constructed this way. There are suggestions to use cameras or explosive bolts for added security, and some debate over the color and wording of the warning signs. Overall, the gate and fence seem poorly designed and may need to be reconsidered.
berkeman
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
A new industrial fence gate was installed on the work site across from my workplace in Silicon Valley -- What fails do you see?
I've been keeping an eye on this for the last week or so, and today I walked across the street from my work building and had my best laugh in a week. What two main problems do you see in this new fence gate construction?

The property across from where I work in Silicon Valley is being torn down and rebuilt as a much larger technical office complex, so they've fenced off the block and will start tearing down the previous building soon. But whoever planned this perimeter fence seems to have neglected a couple of problems with this particular fence gate. Can you spot the two main problems that made me laugh? I can only imagine the conversations that went on with the workers that were installing the fence gate per the plans... :smile:

1633394240068.png

• Haha
Likes Twigg and hutchphd
Engineering news on Phys.org
Has anybody tried to open the gate yet? Can you set up a trail cam with video capability?

• Haha
Likes Joe591, Tom.G, russ_watters and 1 other person
A pedestrian can just walk through it.
A vehicle will just push it open.

Having worked in security though, I can tell you, no security system is designed to stop intruders.

They are designed to
1] ideally discourage trespassers, but secondarily to
2] make attempted entry take sufficient time and noise until a human can arrive who can stop intruder.

In this case, I think 1] applies. The gate simply requests that you don't go this way. That will discourage everyone except those who are intent on breaking the law by knowingly trespassing. (And that is prosecutable.)

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
jrmichler said:
Has anybody tried to open the gate yet? Can you set up a trail cam with video capability?
I was tempted, but they have video surveillance of the worksite, and I didn't want to try to have a conversation with their site security with me laughing uncontrollably. I did mentally try to calculate the friction torque of the metal rollers on the metal rails at the angle of however many degrees, along with the rolling resistance of the hard rubber tires on pavement... Carry the seven... o0)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes scottdave and russ_watters
berkeman said:
I did mentally try to calculate the friction torque of the metal rollers on the metal rails at the angle of however many degrees, along with the rolling resistance of the hard rubber tires on pavement...

Lol. . . I thought it was a swinging gate . . :doh:

Oh dear. I just assumed it was a slide type gate.

Is it built out of second hand components, slide gates, fitted to hinges on the wrong side of the gateposts? Did they start the process by placing the gate posts on the wrong sides of the entrance, or opening the wrong way?

They only need one camera, and do not have to repair cuts to the fence.
I don't believe it will be the main entrance during construction.

Ewok_Log_Smash_MythBusters.gif

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Another possibility.
It could be an ingenuous solution, and the guy got a bonus for being clever.
A gate that will never swing mindlessly, so that could explain the wheels.
And if you are insane you might try to open it by hand to drive through.

Notice that the two gates are not linked and chain locked.

Likes berkeman
256bits said:
Notice that the two gates are not linked and chain locked.
Yeah that's their fully extended position. LOL o0)

I get the impression that PF has spent more time on this problem than the designers did.
Send them the bill.

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd and Haorong Wu
Pondering those rollers on the rails makes my brain hurt. This is a perfect example of why I can't be a mechanical engineer. I think trigonometry may be involved...

It needs explosive bolts. Everything is better with explosive bolts.

• Haha
Likes phinds, Aanta, diogenesNY and 5 others
berkeman said:
I was tempted, but they have video surveillance of the worksite, and I didn't want to try to have a conversation with their site security with me laughing uncontrollably.
Says the guy that rides his bike thru rattlesnake domiciles!

It is hard to tell from the photo, but I don't spot any hinges on the gates, and since the driveway is not crowned the gates would travel horizontally on the rails.

[edit] Oops. I thought the rails were horizontal, closer inspection shows they really are sloped! Oh well.
[/edit]

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
1633787509194.png

works fine for me.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, 2milehi, sysprog and 1 other person
I just use these:

1633787874608.png

And, in line with the subject of this thread, what's wrong with this sign? Two things, actually.

Vanadium 50 said:
And, in line with the subject of this thread, what's wrong with this sign? Two things, actually.
If "land mines do not enter", then why the caution ?
If "land mines" have been cautioned not to enter, then it should be safe.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50
Well... one could assume that your property is bereft of live land-mines. Also "Danger", not "Caution".

hmmm27 said:
Also "Danger", not "Caution"
Right.

Then what color should it be?

Google Images shows a variety ; I assume you're voting for red. Sure, but yellow is more visible near/during nighttime.

Personally, I'd want a sign stating why exactly there's a minefield : current/former national defense property ; one of those WWI explosive-laden farms ; etc.

I am unable to see any fail in that picture.
Nevertheless, the two yellow posts with the fixed barber wire should compensate for any shortcoming of the gate.

Lnewqban said:
I am unable to see any fail in that picture.
Nevertheless, the two yellow posts with the fixed barber wire should compensate for any shortcoming of the gate.
Gate looks fine (albeit a bit gappy) to me : it's the barbed wire(?) that's worrisome.

Likes Lnewqban
Tom.G said:
It is hard to tell from the photo, but I don't spot any hinges on the gates, and since the driveway is not crowned the gates would travel horizontally on the rails.
Yeah, I haven't tried pushing the gates, but from the direction of the wheels and the rollers on the rails in the fence sides, it looks to be meant to be pushed in-line with the fence. Of course, once you push one of them all the way in (and up at that angle) and go to push the other one up, the first one will roll back down behind you since there were no latches that I could see...

hmmm27 said:
I assume you're voting for red.
Red-White-Black. Those are the colors for Danger signs. Caution is yellow/black. Warning is orange/black.

Mind you,
Green for toxic gases.
Blue for water contact gas emitting substances
Yellow for Oxidizing substances
and , Danger sign in red

If you are colour blind, then tough luck, and take your chances.

When I see a tight chain between two supports, like in post #1, I get an almost irresistible urge to do a reverse three point turn in my truck.

Vanadium 50 said:
1633823745666.png

Listen up maggots!

Most of these land mines are inert!

But, some of them are ... ert.

• Haha
Likes SolarisOne and Vanadium 50
hmmm27 said:
Personally, I'd want a sign stating why exactly there's a minefield : current/former national defense property ; one of those WWI explosive-laden farms ; etc.
Why?
Would your actions differ depending on what it said?

I mean, do you have a threshold of sufficient land mine danger, below which you'll mark it for return with a picnic basket under arm?

• Haha
Likes hmmm27
256bits said:
If you are colour blind, then tough luck, and take your chances.
Yeah, but after enough generations, color blindness will be a thing of the past. Think of it as evolution in action.

Likes DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
Why?
Would your actions differ depending on what it said?

I mean, do you have a threshold of sufficient land mine danger, below which you'll mark it for return with a picnic basket under arm?
Old habit. Wouldn't mind finding out about the area I'm messing about in. When I'm in a new place I always like to :
a) explore with local public transit, and
b) go picnicking in a minefield, if a toxic waste dump isn't handy,

chimo.

Last edited:
Now there is a case of Darwinism in action!
hmmm27 said:
When I'm in a new place I always like to :
a) explore with local public transit, and
b) go picnicking in a minefield, if a toxic waste dump isn't handy,

Tom.G said:
Now there is a case of Darwinism in action!
(Only if he's of breeding age and hasn't bred yet... I'm picturing the pitter-patter of little mine sweepers.)

• Haha
Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
(Only if he's of breeding age and hasn't bred yet... I'm picturing the pitter-patter of little mine sweepers.)
Oh, it seemed to be a valid way to differentiate between a 19yo and a 69yo, inspect the endeavors they pursue.