In short circuit condition, what is wrong with following derivation

In summary, the voltage V can be calculated using Ohm's law, V=ir, where V is the voltage, i is the current, and r is the resistance. However, this formula becomes V=E-ir when considering the whole circuit, where E is the voltage of the cell and ir is the voltage drop across the internal resistor. By substituting V with E-ir, we can then solve for i, which gives us i=E/2r. Finally, by substituting the value of i back into the original formula, V=E-ir, we get V=E/2, which is the voltage across the whole circuit. This analysis is based on the assumption that the load resistance is equal to the internal resistance.
Theresa
V=ir considering the whole circuit
Now we knowV=E-ir
Then ir=E-ir Therefore i=E/2r
Therefore,V=E/2

Physics news on Phys.org
There is too much context missing. Where do you measure the voltage V? What is E? One of them seems to be used inconsistently.
Why is there a resistor if it's a short circuit?

Likes etotheipi
Like @mfb said it's hard to help properly without further information, though I presume you're referring to a physical cell with internal resistance being shorted.

In that case, you're mixing up symbols. Your analysis as it stands is actually for a circuit with load resistance equal to the internal resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes anorlunda

1. What is a short circuit?

A short circuit occurs when there is a low-resistance connection between two points in an electrical circuit that are not supposed to be connected. This can cause a sudden surge of current, potentially damaging the circuit and any connected devices.

2. How does a short circuit happen?

A short circuit can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as faulty wiring, damaged insulation, or incorrect circuit design. It can also happen if two wires accidentally touch each other or if a wire comes into contact with a conductive material.

3. What are the dangers of a short circuit?

A short circuit can cause overheating and potentially start a fire. It can also damage electronic devices and appliances connected to the circuit. In some cases, a short circuit can lead to electrocution or other serious injuries.

4. How can a short circuit be prevented?

To prevent a short circuit, it is important to use proper wiring techniques and regularly check for any damaged or exposed wires. Using circuit breakers and fuses can also help prevent excessive current flow and protect the circuit. It is also important to avoid overloading circuits and using devices with damaged cords or plugs.

5. What should I do if I suspect a short circuit?

If you suspect a short circuit, it is important to immediately turn off the power to the affected circuit and unplug any devices connected to it. Then, carefully inspect the circuit for any signs of damage or exposed wires. If you are unsure or unable to fix the issue, it is best to call a professional electrician for assistance.