What is your greatest achievement in physics?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolved around various individuals discussing their personal contributions and achievements in the field of physics. Some mentioned specific accomplishments, such as solving a problem in optics or developing a mnemonic device for remembering the electromagnetic spectrum. Others discussed their passion for teaching and inspiring students, or their involvement in various projects and experiments. Overall, the conversation highlighted the diverse and impressive contributions of individuals in the field of physics.
Loren Booda
What personal contribution to the field of physics are you most proud of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ive solved PIE one time. But damn it anyway, forgot it when i went to tell someone. :tongue2:

forgive my ignorance -what is PIE?

Loren Booda said:
What personal contribution to the field of physics are you most proud of?

I'd say it was the http://www.optics.rochester.edu/workgroups/boyd/slowlight/slowlight.html

But I hope to have even better things to show in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
My greatest achievement is to teach and inspire students, far brighter than me, who then go on to study Physics at a high level at some of the UKs top Universities.

I wish I was as bright as some of the pupils I have taught... :cry:

That's one of my hopes, Adrian.

I love physics.

I was pretty happy when i understood F=MA :rofl: :wink:

Is solving Venus physics too?

1] Teaching the willing how to tell the difference between fact and fantasy.
2] Explaining the difference to the unwilling... and occasionally suceeding.
3] Creating algorithm for solving Pi to an unlimited number of decimal places - unfortunately it required unlimited computer memory.
4] Proving the law of gravity to my childhood companions by leaping from the porch while wearing a red cape.

Finding a workable method for understanding the fundamentals of existence.

Passing Dr. Gardners Theromdynamics class.

I found that if you square the number 2.5499146, then square the result of that, then square that result, you have four interesting numbers.
Add the largest three, and you have proton mass in electron masses.
Add the starting number and you have neutron mass in electron masses.

The results match measured values to within about .004 MeV.

I was looking into an old idea of Robert Holfstadter of Stanton who won the Nobel Prize
for work in hadronic spectra analysis. He proposed a shell structure for the proton and neutron. As far as I know he never published the idea bacause it didn't square with QED. I found out about this from Azimov's publications.

Shell 1 mass is 2.5499146 Electron masses
Shell 2 mass is 6.50206446729316 Electron masses
Shell 3 mass is 42.2768423368363 Electron masses
Shell 4 mass is 1787.33139797371 Electron masses

Sounds like the atomic series (Balmer, Paschen, Brackett or Pfund), where atomic electron ionization energy equals the Rydberg constant over a natural number (1, 2, 3, or 4) squared.

I have built a Goldberg machine that makes a ham sandwich and puts it into a lunch bag with no electric, and no outside forces. I'm pretty proud of myself. (is it obvious?) Oh, and I did this on my own, with no help.

electronics?

I do not know if you count electronics as physics (I do ) , but I once had the privilege of holding up the whole of the Jakarta satellite communication system whilst Me and a partner developed a key ( and missing) piece of equipment - which after a few disasters worked -- for which Hughes Aircrcraft flew us out by private jet to Catalina Island for Buffalo burgers -- a burger never tasted so good .
Also my advice do not go to Catalina by jet -- the runway is awful short and bracketed by cliffs at both ends -- you may not be able to eat lunch. !
Ray.

Last edited:
Totally serious here (which is perhaps sad): I came up with a mnemonic so my students can remember the regions of the electromagnetic spectrum in order of increasing frequency.

It features a story involving this totally sick skateboarder named Mike who gets all excited when he hears the x-games are coming to a nearby city, and this year they are going to be harsh! Tickets are all sold out so he's bummed. THen his friend comes up and says that he got two ticket and Mike is psyched. But dude, "I'm taking my girlfriend" says his friend and Mike is again bummed out. (The story is not really important, but here's the moral):

Radical Mike inferred he could see the ultraviolent x games. (see it?)
radio micro infrared visible UV X gamma

Well, I do what I can.

Finding and identifying the relevant characteristics defined by a line with the following dimensional values:

Line = 47.713 cm
Angle= 26.2540 degrees from horizontal

I did the basic trig and found the vertical leg was 21.106 cm, an interesting number. I then used the wavelength formula on both the hypotenuse and vertical values to extract the frequency related to the lengths.

[tex]f = \frac{c}{\lambda}[/tex]

I knew what the vertical leg would be (1420.4 MHz), and the hypotenuse turned out to be a multiple of 2 pi radians (628.31 MHz).

I found a matrix equation set could define the cosecant characteristics of the triangle, which indicated that our unit of time, the second, could be defined mathematically as the function of an angle when the vertical leg is a constant, a unique constant, the wavelength of the precession emission of neutral hydrogen.

(1)[tex]
f_1 &= \omega_f \times z \quad & \lambda_H = \frac{c}{f_1}
[/tex]
(2)[tex]
f_2 &=\omega_f \times y \quad & \lambda_2 &= \frac{c}{f_2}
[/tex]
(3)[tex]
\lambda_3 &= \lambda_H \times z \quad & f_3 &= \frac{c}{\lambda_3}
[/tex]
(4)[tex]
\lambda_4 &= \lambda_H \times y \quad & f_4 &= \frac{c}{\lambda_4}
[/tex]
Where:
[tex]y &= 1[/tex]
[tex]z &= 2.260645[/tex]
[tex]\omega_f &= 6.2381 (10^6)[/tex]
[tex]\lambda_H &= 21.10611[/tex]
[tex]c &= 29979.2458 (10^6)[/tex]
Alternately, you can substitute the angle for z.
[tex]z &= \csc(\alpha)[/tex]
Where the angle equals 26.25400 degrees.
The equations can be solved as 2x2 sets, where (1) & (4) are a set, and (2) & (3) are a set, or as a 4x4 set.
The results are numerically mirrored but with a times 100 difference. I extended the precision for my calculations, but the values shown illustrate the characteristics of the equation sets.

Last edited:
I can't say I've had many achievements seeing as I'm going through my first basic kinematics course but three things come to mind-
1. Getting my HAM liscence at 16 without any outside help.
2. Doing some nice stuff with a quasar's spectra that almost got me as a coauthor in a published paper.
3. Getting replies from people reading physics/ astronomy/ general science articles I've written saying "you got me interested in a field I never thought I would be interested in!" Something like that undoubtedly is one of my greatest achievements!

Worked for the Office of Fusion Energy compiling project summaries of research around the world, 1978. Got mostly "excellent" evaluations. There assisted physicists, mostly with Q clearances, during that summer after my freshman year at Yale.

I need to understand physics, I can't just hear it. I can tell someone "E=mc^2", and they will say "OK?". I understand math and physics, that's an accomplishment. I make theories, just to latter figure out that I was on the right track, but I was off on it. But, I have made one good acomplishment, I made a software that calculates time dilation for me, and converts various units. If anyone wants it, just Email me :tongue2:

Sorry for my double post, NetScape has a lot of problems, but so does IE. :rofl:

My greatest accomplishment so far has been being the substitute teacher in a physics class a few times at my high school (I am a student there).

gained a comment of "quite good" in one of my papers which i scored only 28 out of 70

Won gold medal in MSc Physics. Currently working on electroamgnetic portion of power electronics. Physics helps me a lot in solving complicated problems for that. When I find a solution, I feel my self above the sky...

Making a time dilation software, if you want it Email me :wink:

Imagination is greater than knowledge

My greatest achievement in physics was a dream where I had a very strange and novel visualization about inertia, Mach, Wheeler and Cuifolin's book, and a "rotating" elastic sphere in an otherwise empty universe. Suffice it to say I have gone on to other things.

Perion

the other week i helped my teacher in a lesson with 12 year olds.
the most useful thing i did was tell them they had the metre stick the wrong way round when measuring themselves.hehe (p.s I am 17)

Getting a job with my physics degree

MrCaN said:
Getting a job with my physics degree
Ah c'mon, it's not that hard, is it? :cry:

1. What is your greatest achievement in physics?

My greatest achievement in physics was my research on quantum mechanics, specifically my contribution to the development of the quantum theory of solids. This theory has been crucial in understanding the behavior of materials at the atomic and subatomic level, and has had numerous applications in technology and engineering.

2. How did you come up with your greatest achievement in physics?

My greatest achievement in physics was the result of years of dedicated research and experimentation. I was inspired by the work of other physicists and was determined to contribute to the field in a meaningful way. Through collaboration with my peers and countless hours in the lab, I was able to make significant discoveries and advancements.

3. What impact has your greatest achievement in physics had on the scientific community?

My greatest achievement in physics has had a significant impact on the scientific community. It has furthered our understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and has opened up new avenues for research and development. It has also been cited and built upon by other scientists, demonstrating its importance and relevance in the field.

4. How has your greatest achievement in physics impacted society?

My greatest achievement in physics has had a direct impact on society through its applications in technology and engineering. For example, the quantum theory of solids has been crucial in the development of electronic devices such as transistors and computer chips. It has also paved the way for advancements in renewable energy, medical imaging, and communication systems.

5. What challenges did you face while working on your greatest achievement in physics?

Working on my greatest achievement in physics was not without its challenges. The field of quantum mechanics is complex and constantly evolving, so there were many obstacles to overcome. Additionally, conducting experiments and analyzing data can be a time-consuming and tedious process. However, with determination and perseverance, I was able to overcome these challenges and achieve my goals.