Are Product Engineering and IC Design Jobs Right for Me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in figuring things out and working with computer hardware, specifically circuits and processors. They mention their interest in increasing efficiency and reducing size, as well as troubleshooting issues with processors and motherboards. The speaker asks for job recommendations based on their interests and the other person suggests Product Engineering as a potential fit. The other person also shares their own experience working with Product Engineers and how it aligns with the speaker's interests.
Timb0Slice
I like to figure things out. Creating and testing computer hardware such as circuits and processors sounds very interesting to me. Trying to figure out how to make a certain processor faster, and more efficient or trying to organize a circuit to be as small as possible. Or why this certain processor is running too hot, or this motherboard isn't functioning. Things along those lines.

It seems IC designer, working with FPGA's, and applications engineer fit this criteria. Would I enjoy these jobs?, and are there any others I might enjoy?

Physics news on Phys.org
What jobs fit my interests?
... whichever job you are interested in. You seem to have that figured out.
Where abouts are you in your education?

From your description it sounds like you would enjoy Product Engineering: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_engineering

I used to work for a major semiconductor manufacturer and our Product Engineers were wizards, and they spent their days chasing down difficult problems exactly like you described (for example why is a particular chip running too hot, or how can this board be simplified to reduce cost but still provide reasonable performance).

What jobs fit my interests?

There are a number of factors that can influence what jobs may fit your interests. Here are some frequently asked questions about finding jobs that align with your interests:

1. How do I determine my interests?

One way to determine your interests is to reflect on your hobbies, passions, and skills. What activities do you enjoy? What subjects do you excel in? What do you spend your free time doing? These can all give you insight into your interests and potential career paths.

2. Can my interests change over time?

Absolutely! Our interests can evolve as we experience new things and gain new knowledge. It's important to reassess your interests periodically to make sure they align with your career goals.

3. Should I only pursue jobs that align with my interests?

While it's important to find a job that you enjoy, it's also important to consider other factors such as salary, job stability, and growth opportunities. It's possible to find a job that combines both your interests and practical considerations.

4. How can I find jobs that match my interests?

There are a few ways to find jobs that align with your interests. You can search for job titles or industries that relate to your interests, network with people in fields you're interested in, and take career assessments to identify potential career paths.

5. Can I have multiple interests and pursue different types of jobs?

Yes, it's common to have multiple interests and pursue different types of jobs throughout your career. Don't feel like you have to limit yourself to one specific field or job role – it's okay to explore and try new things!