What kind of controller would you call this?

• Thread starter DragonPetter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Controller
In summary, the conversation discusses a motor that can be driven forward at +12V and backwards at -12V, with a third option of 0V. It is suggested to call it a state based controller due to its three output states. The stability and accurate steady state of the controller is attributed to either a weak motor or an inaccurate method of measuring error. The term "bidirectional controller" is also suggested. The conversation then goes on to discuss the motor having low resolution and using bang-bang control with a hysteresis band to reduce chatter. Adding a delay to the control loop can cause overshooting and result in oscillation.
DragonPetter
I have a motor that is driven rail to rail. So, in forward its +12 volt, and backwards its -12V, and it can also be at 0V.

Can I call it a bang-bang controller, or is there some other name for it since it has 3 different control values?

It is also very stable and accurate steady state, which I'm trying to understand since its just proportional with very large gain. My only guess is that the thing its coupled to has very high friction.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suppose you can call it whatever you like. I might call it a state based controller since your output is based only on deciding which of three output states to use.

But you are right, the only way it can be stable and have an accurate steady state is for one of two situations to occur (and probably both).

1.) Your motor is way to weak so that you have such a slow response time that it is difficult to see the oscillation in the system.

2.) Your method of measuring the system error is inaccurate to the point where you only see large errors so that whenever you are in the ballpark of being right your controller switches to the 0V state. This is why there would seem to be little steady state error.

Maybe just "Bidirectional Controller"?

Floid said:
I suppose you can call it whatever you like. I might call it a state based controller since your output is based only on deciding which of three output states to use.

But you are right, the only way it can be stable and have an accurate steady state is for one of two situations to occur (and probably both).

1.) Your motor is way to weak so that you have such a slow response time that it is difficult to see the oscillation in the system.

2.) Your method of measuring the system error is inaccurate to the point where you only see large errors so that whenever you are in the ballpark of being right your controller switches to the 0V state. This is why there would seem to be little steady state error.

Yes, its a BLDC motor with only 3 hall sensors that gives me 30 degree increments of position, so I think its safe to say that the resolution is so low that the controller stops providing the command and the friction stops the motor before it ever reaches the next 30 degree position. I was reading about bang-bang controllers, which can include a hysteresis band, its on page 6
http://faculty.washington.edu/lum/aa448/lecture_notes/lecture13.pdf

Would it be safe to say that these positions between the 30 degree position increments are acting as deadbands to reduce the "chatter"?

This would make sense, because when I put a delay on my control loop(it wouldn't apply the error until a delay after sampling the feedback), I noticed some chatter.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, from that description you have a bang/bang controller. I can't remember ever hearing that term before.

Yes, what it sounds like is happening is that when you enter the correct 30 degree increment you are transitioning to the 0V output state and the system stops in this band before it is able to overshoot in the next band. In the system you have your controller is a good one as there is nothing gained by a more complex control algorithm.

When you add the extra delay then your system is overshooting into the next 30 degree band which reverses the controller direction and results in oscillation.

1. What is a controller in scientific terms?

A controller, in scientific terms, is a device or mechanism that is used to regulate or control a certain process or system. It is often used to adjust or maintain a desired state or output.

2. How do you determine what type of controller to use?

The type of controller used depends on the specific process or system being controlled, as well as the desired outcome. Factors such as speed, accuracy, and complexity of the system must be considered when choosing a controller.

3. What are the different types of controllers?

There are various types of controllers, including PID (proportional-integral-derivative) controllers, on-off controllers, proportional controllers, and linear controllers. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

4. What is the purpose of a controller in a scientific experiment?

A controller is used in a scientific experiment to ensure that the variables being tested are controlled and kept constant. This allows for accurate and repeatable results to be obtained, as any changes in the system can be attributed to the manipulated variable being tested.

5. Can a controller be manually or automatically operated?

Yes, a controller can be operated manually or automatically. In manual operation, the controller settings and adjustments are made by a person. In automatic operation, the controller uses sensors or feedback mechanisms to adjust and maintain the desired state or output without human intervention.