grandpa2390 said:
Because when I do it for free I do not feel... liable for the results of the students. I'm just trying to help. If I am getting paid 30 dollars an hour, I feel accountable. Like if they don't do well it is my fault.
Tutoring is one of the more desirable jobs you can get in a university as a student. It's relatively easy. It's related to your subject of study. It's right there on campus. And it looks reasonably good in your resume when you apply for jobs or admission to other degrees.
Usually when you are getting paid it is because you are doing the "boring work" for a prof. So you would be running the tutorial for a class, presumably one you have already taken yourself, and did very well on. Or you would be marking homework or quiz answers. But the point is, you will most often be doing this while working closely with a prof. So you will have things like a study guide or written notes from the prof. And when you are marking you will have a marking guide that tells you what to look for and what to take marks off for.
Another thing you may get to do is invigilate exams. So you get to walk up and down the rows of students writing the exam and make sure nobody is cheating. This is one of the most boring three hours you are likely to spend.
Tutoring was, for the most part, rewarding and enjoyable. The only time it's annoying is when a student is just not getting it no matter what you do. Usually the thing to do in that case is to try to explain things differently. And don't be afraid to start right at the beginning and say it all over again, possibly several times. This is less annoying if you have more than one student listening so that you are actually helping several people.
Also, they may try to cheat, as they did in the lab I taught. So part way through the term I had to institute a policy of requiring them to get their data signed by me before they left the lab. And as I was explaining this one of the students put up his hand and said "So one guy's bad behavior spoils it for everybody?" Right, I said. Sigh.
So go ahead and tutor. Just brace yourself to be patient and good natured about the whole thing. But at the same time be ready to take any evidence of cheating to the prof the instant you notice it.