Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What laser should I use?

1. Oct 31, 2015 #1
    If I were to replicate this experiment http://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.04254v1.pdf but was limited to the purchase of only one laser which frequency and what power should I choose? I know the research team that conducted this experiment purchased their lasers from jetlasers.org but they unfortunately no longer sell the exact model of laser the team used. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Most of the experiments in that paper are done under vacuum. Do you have any vacuum apparatus at your high school where you are a senior? Also, have you read a bit on laser safety? Will you be doing these experiments at school, or on your own?

4. Oct 31, 2015 #3
    Yes. We have the equipment necessary to create the vacuum and are aware of and will take all required precautions in order to perform the experiment carefully and safely. The experiment will be performed at the school. We are in the process of putting in purchase orders for the rest of the materials we need. We are considering purchasing a 1.5W 450 nm laser from the same company the research team purchased from but I wanted to be certain this is the best one we could choose. Thank you for your concern.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook