What is the best laser for replicating this experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of replicating an experiment from a paper but with limited resources. The person is seeking advice on which frequency and power to choose for their laser, as well as the safety precautions and equipment needed. They are considering purchasing a 1.5W 450 nm laser from the same company as the research team.
J. Cole Kaplan
If I were to replicate this experiment http://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.04254v1.pdf but was limited to the purchase of only one laser which frequency and what power should I choose? I know the research team that conducted this experiment purchased their lasers from jetlasers.org but they unfortunately no longer sell the exact model of laser the team used. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
J. Cole Kaplan said:
If I were to replicate this experiment http://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.04254v1.pdf but was limited to the purchase of only one laser which frequency and what power should I choose? I know the research team that conducted this experiment purchased their lasers from jetlasers.org but they unfortunately no longer sell the exact model of laser the team used. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Most of the experiments in that paper are done under vacuum. Do you have any vacuum apparatus at your high school where you are a senior? Also, have you read a bit on laser safety? Will you be doing these experiments at school, or on your own?

Yes. We have the equipment necessary to create the vacuum and are aware of and will take all required precautions in order to perform the experiment carefully and safely. The experiment will be performed at the school. We are in the process of putting in purchase orders for the rest of the materials we need. We are considering purchasing a 1.5W 450 nm laser from the same company the research team purchased from but I wanted to be certain this is the best one we could choose. Thank you for your concern.

Likes berkeman

What laser should I use?

This is a common question among scientists who are looking to use laser technology for their research or experiments. Here are the top 5 frequently asked questions about choosing the right laser:

1. How do I determine the appropriate laser power for my experiment?

The appropriate laser power depends on the specific requirements of your experiment. Factors such as the material being used, desired outcome, and safety considerations should be taken into account. It is best to consult with experts or reference guides to determine the appropriate laser power for your experiment.

2. What is the difference between continuous wave (CW) and pulsed lasers?

CW lasers emit a continuous beam of light, while pulsed lasers emit light in short bursts. The choice between these two types of lasers depends on the application. CW lasers are typically used for cutting, drilling, or welding, while pulsed lasers are often used for material processing or precision measurements.

3. What is the wavelength range I should consider for my experiment?

The wavelength range of a laser depends on the type of material you are working with. Different materials respond differently to different wavelengths, so it is important to choose a laser with a wavelength that is suitable for your experiment. Consult with experts or reference guides for the ideal wavelength range for your specific application.

4. How do I ensure the safety of myself and others when using a laser?

Laser safety is crucial when working with lasers. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, follow safety protocols, and properly train anyone who will be using the laser. Additionally, make sure to choose a laser with a power level and wavelength that is safe for your intended use.

5. Are there any special considerations for selecting a laser for biological applications?

Yes, there are several factors to consider when choosing a laser for biological applications. These include the wavelength range, power level, and pulse duration. It is also important to consider the potential effects of the laser on living tissues and take appropriate safety precautions.