What Lies Between Universes and the Big Bang? Exploring the Multiverse Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the string theory which explains the concept of a multiverse through the analogy of bubbles. The conversation also delves into the idea of the beginning of the universes and what exists in between them. However, there is no concrete answer and it remains a topic of speculation. The conversation also mentions Michio Kaku and his role as a popularizer of science, with a quote questioning his credibility. In the end, the conversation highlights the importance of popularization in sparking public interest and funding for science.
akshaya
Well, the string theory talks about multiverse, unlike the Big Bang theory.

Michio Kaku explains it by comparing it with bubbles.
There are many universes. These universes are like bubbles floating around, and when they collide, they form a single bubble- a universe. When a single bubble, universe, separates, it forms two universes.

My questions is- What is in between these universes? What is the beginning of these universes? Does that question ask for another big bang? The multiverse big bang?

And plus, in the big bang theory too, what's outside the expanding universe? I assume it's dark matter. But how did that come into existence?

Bottom line: None of these theories talk about the beginning of everything. Do you have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
akshaya said:
? I assume it's dark matter. But how did that come into existence?
Are you sure?
akshaya said:
: None of these theories talk about the beginning of everything. Do you have any ideas?
Putting it in a simple way, before the big bang, singularity! there's a theory which says that time goes slow at the centre of this singularity, the density is said to be tending to infinity, that means that there was no time before the big bang, as the universe expanded, time was born/created... so you can't refer to anything before the big bang. as there was no time
I might be wrong, i just saw this in some documentary with Stephen hawking.Browse through this

Suraj M said:
Are you sure?
Well, we can't be sure about anything here.

Last edited:
akshaya said:
Well, the string theory talks about multiverse, unlike the Big Bang theory.

Michio Kaku explains it by comparing it with bubbles.
Kaku was once a respected physicist but is now a popularizer of the worse sort and his name should be spelled Kaka.

There are many universes. These universes are like bubbles floating around, and when they collide, they form a single bubble- a universe. When a single bubble, universe, separates, it forms two universes

My questions is- What is in between these universes? What is the beginning of these universes? Does that question ask for another big bang? The multiverse big bang?.
Since this is all pure speculation with no known basis in reality, you can pretty much put in whatever answer you like
And plus, in the big bang theory too, what's outside the expanding universe? I assume it's dark matter. But how did that come into existence?
there isn't anything "outside". There IS no "outside"
Bottom line: None of these theories talk about the beginning of everything. Do you have any ideas?
It's turtles all the way down. That's as good an answer as anyone has come up with so far.

Last edited:
Likes ChrisVer, websterling and akshaya
phinds said:
Kaku was once a respected physicist but is now a popularizer of the worse sort and his name should be spelled Kaka.

From this blog post- M-Theory Repositions: Now You Can Thank Us For Quantum Mechanics Too, my favorite quote concerning Kaku-

"The safe bet remains that if Michio Kaku embraces it, it is okay to disregard it."

Likes ChrisVer
The idea of many universes I think concerns whether there are more than 1 vacuum states in which the universe can exist. If that is the case, there is nothing inbetween , just empty spacetime, and the two universes expand (their horizons expand) until they collide (at that time you'll get a domain wall inbetween them, and probably a catastrophic thing could happen). That's where the bubbles come in (discriminating different vacua).

I agree on the comments about Kaku.

Likes websterling
Cut Dr. Kaku some slack. If you are not immersed in academia, there aren't a whole lot of other ways for a scientist to earn a buck outside of entertainment. Kaku thrives on off the wall topics, because that's what sells. I think popularization is good for science. It piques public interest, albeit sometimes misguided, which motivates public funding for science. That, in turn, enables a tech driven society and prosperity.

Likes Amrator

What is string theory and how does it relate to the multiverse?

String theory is a theoretical framework in particle physics that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity. It suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings. The concept of the multiverse, or multiple universes, comes from the idea that there could be many different universes with different physical laws and constants, and string theory provides a possible explanation for how these universes could exist.

How is string theory tested and verified?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for string theory, as it requires energies much higher than what can be produced in current particle accelerators. However, there are indirect ways to test and verify aspects of the theory, such as studying the behavior of particles at high energies and observing the patterns of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

What are the criticisms of string theory?

One of the main criticisms of string theory is that it is currently untestable, as mentioned previously. Another criticism is that it relies on the existence of extra dimensions, which have not been observed or confirmed. Additionally, some scientists argue that string theory is too mathematically complex and lacks a clear, testable prediction.

How does the multiverse concept impact our understanding of the universe?

The idea of the multiverse challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as a single, unique entity. It suggests that there could be an infinite number of universes with different physical laws and constants, which could have implications for our understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe. It also raises questions about the role of consciousness in determining which universe we exist in.

Can string theory and the multiverse ever be proven or disproven?

As with any scientific theory, it is possible that new evidence or advancements in technology could provide a way to prove or disprove string theory and the multiverse. However, it is also possible that it may remain a theoretical concept without any definitive proof. Only time and further research will tell.