Exploring the Finite Universe Concept: Insights from the Big Bang Theory

In summary, the content of the universe was always infinite, and it only became finite as we approached the singularity.
stuart100
TL;DR Summary
Everything passed out of single point over a finite time into universe from Big Bang, etc. Is content
therefor finite?
My first question. I was taught in school about Big Bang as a theory of physics, so then if the entire content of our universe came out from one tiny point boundary over a finite span of time, would that
mean the content was finite?

Space news on Phys.org
Although that's a common description of Big Bang theory, it's wildly incorrect, confusing multiple different concepts.

If the universe is infinite in extent, as our current models suggest, then it was always infinite in extent, and always fairly uniformly filled with matter and radiation (or more exotic things early on). The observable universe, the finite-sized bit we can see, was at some point very small. A lot of sources conflate "what we can see" with "everything".

Likes stuart100 and Arman777
stuart100 said:
Summary:: Everything passed out of single point over a finite time into universe from Big Bang, etc. Is content
therefor finite?

My first question. I was taught in school about Big Bang as a theory of physics, so then if the entire content of our universe came out from one tiny point boundary over a finite span of time, would that
mean the content was finite?

Mathematically you cannot map a single point to anything other than a single point. The Big Bang theory, therefore, cannot start from a single point.

Likes Arman777
One thing to keep in mind is that the Big Bang is an extrapolation of what we can see now backwards using a specific set of theories and models. When we take General Relativity, use its rules to make a model, and run that model backwards, we find that at a certain point the math starts churning out infinities as the answers to the calculations. This point in the model, this place where the math 'breaks down', we call a singularity. It is from this mathematical singularity that the idea of a physical singularity is derived.

Note that if we take a finite volume of space, such as the observable universe, and watch as its volume shrinks as time is moved backwards in our model, the volume is still non-zero when we reach our singularity. So in the actual model used by cosmologists the universe is never a single point in size.

• Informative
Likes valenumr, stuart100, WWGD and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
the volume is still non-zero when we reach our singularity

This is somewhat misleading. The singularity itself is not part of the manifold at all, so there is no way to "reach" it. Anywhere that is part of the manifold, the volume will be non-zero (more precisely, it will be non-zero on any spacelike 3-surface that is part of the manifold).

PeterDonis said:
This is somewhat misleading. The singularity itself is not part of the manifold at all, so there is no way to "reach" it. Anywhere that is part of the manifold, the volume will be non-zero (more precisely, it will be non-zero on any spacelike 3-surface that is part of the manifold).

So would it be better to say "as we approach the singularity" or something similar?

Drakkith said:
would it be better to say "as we approach the singularity" or something similar?

Yes, or you could just say "on every spacelike 3-surface", since in this respect (the spatial volume of the 3-surfaces being nonzero) there is nothing special about approaching the singularity. :wink:

Drakkith said:
One thing to keep in mind is that the Big Bang is an extrapolation of what we can see now backwards using a specific set of theories and models. When we take General Relativity, use its rules to make a model, and run that model backwards, we find that at a certain point the math starts churning out infinities as the answers to the calculations. This point in the model, this place where the math 'breaks down', we call a singularity. It is from this mathematical singularity that the idea of a physical singularity is derived.

Note that if we take a finite volume of space, such as the observable universe, and watch as its volume shrinks as time is moved backwards in our model, the volume is still non-zero when we reach our singularity. So in the actual model used by cosmologists the universe is never a single point in size.
I like how the math breaks down near infinities. I never liked them anyway. They could have gone deeper in year twelve to give us more hints. Thanks for that. Stuart100.

Try to reconcile this concept with the universe starting from a zero-dimensional point: in every direction we look, we see evidence of the "big bang".
This is hard to articulate I suppose, but if it started as a zero-dimensional point, it, I would think, would imply an actual center to the universe (not the observable universe). How could the center of something be visible in all possible directions?
As I understand (by no means an expert), the big bang happened "everywhere", and was an exponential increase of the scale factor of the universe (inflation theory?). The extent of "everywhere", is a bit if unknown, but is assumed to still be infinite, I believe. At least large enough that our observable universe is much, much smaller than the entire universe.

valenumr said:
but if it started as a zero-dimensional point

It didn't. At least there is no such thing in the big bang theory.

weirdoguy said:
It didn't. At least there is no such thing in the big bang theory.
Perhaps not formally, but I was trying to demonstrate that by accepting a pointlike beginning postulate creates a dilemma with observation. I did not say the universe actually has a point like beginning...

Likes PeroK
valenumr said:
Perhaps not formally, but I was trying to demonstrate that by accepting a pointlike beginning postulate creates a dilemma with observation. I did not say the universe actually has a point like beginning...
Exactly, otherwise the theme song to The Big Bang Theory, which starts "The whole universe was in a hot dense state ..." would instead start "The whole universe was in a zero point state ...".

valenumr said:
if it started as a zero-dimensional point, it, I would think, would imply an actual center to the universe

No, that's not the problem. The problem, as was already pointed out in this thread, is that you can't map a single point to anything other than a single point, at least not with the kind of mapping you need to use in a model in General Relativity.

But if it were possible to map a single point to a 3-space, which is what a model in which the universe started as a single point would have to do, there would still be nothing picking out any particular point in the 3-space as "the original point". The entire 3-space would correspond to the original point.

Likes PeroK
Okay, fair enough. Let me try and illustrate what I mean though, and let's not be pedantic. I think there is a common notion that somehow a point somehow ballooned into a giant sphere that is the universe. I am just trying to illustrate that it is illogical to find yourself somewhere within that sphere, look in every direction, and see the "center", or "origin", without being extremely technical. The evidence for the big bang is observable in every direction. To me, that is sufficient to me to discredit the notion that the universe was ever point-like, given the above argument... Is that incorrect?

valenumr said:
Is that incorrect?

Yes.

valenumr said:
I think there is a common notion that somehow a point somehow ballooned into a giant sphere that is the universe.

That "common notion" is not what the Big Bang Cosmology says, so why discuss it?

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes.
That "common notion" is not what the Big Bang Cosmology says, so why discuss it?

Why is that analogy wrong? And maybe to illustrate why the concept of a point-like singularity doesn't even fit observation? See the OP's original question.

valenumr said:
Is that incorrect?

Yes.

valenumr said:
Why is that analogy wrong? And maybe to illustrate why the concept of a point-like singularity doesn't even fit observation?

These questions have already been answered in previous posts.

valenumr said:
See the OP's original question.

The OP's original question was already answered more than a month ago.

Thread closed.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a single, extremely dense and hot point, and has been expanding and cooling over the course of billions of years.

2. How does the Big Bang Theory relate to the finite universe concept?

The Big Bang Theory supports the idea of a finite universe, as it suggests that the universe had a definite beginning and has been expanding since then. This implies that the universe has a limited amount of matter and energy, making it finite.

3. What insights does the Big Bang Theory provide about the finite universe concept?

The Big Bang Theory provides insights into the age, size, and composition of the universe, which all support the concept of a finite universe. It also helps explain the distribution of galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation, both of which provide evidence for a finite universe.

4. Are there any competing theories to the Big Bang Theory for understanding the finite universe concept?

Yes, there are some competing theories such as the Steady State Theory and the Oscillating Universe Theory. However, the Big Bang Theory is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe.

5. How does studying the finite universe concept impact our understanding of the universe?

Studying the finite universe concept allows us to better comprehend the vastness and complexity of the universe. It also helps us understand the laws of physics and how they govern the behavior of the universe. Additionally, it can lead to advancements in technology and further exploration of the universe.