What makes the bulb lose resistance?

In summary: A. So in summary, the motor seems to produce less current when it starts turning because it also generates an internal voltage which opposes the flow of current into the motor from the battery.
Flyingwing12
I have included a diagram of this simple circuit I have constructed. When hooked up to the battery, the motor starts out slow, and then speeds up to a ~constant speed.

The bulb, however, starts out bright but immediately gets dimmer, almost to the point of no light being produced.

If hooked up in series the current flows through the motor and then through the bulb. I know once a motor gets started it takes less current to keep it moving.

the circuit, when reversed, seem to produce the same result. I know if these components were hooked up in parallel everything would work as if it were connected individually . However, I am just so curious as to why the light bulb gets dimmer when in series.

I have so many thoughts about why it is happening I simply need someone else to verify the reason.

So tell me why, please.

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 375
Engineering news on Phys.org
The motor draws less current when it starts turning because it also acts as a generator and generates an internal voltage which opposes the flow of current into the motor from the battery.

So, this is like putting another battery in the circuit with opposite polarity to the existing battery. The combined EMF is less if you do this.

There is less EMF driving current around the circuit, so there is less current and the bulb does not glow as brightly as before the motor started to turn.

If you like to look at it another way, you could say the motor seems like a higher resistance when it is turning and this higher resistance in series with the lamp causes it to glow less brightly.

vk6kro said:
The motor draws less current when it starts turning because it also acts as a generator and generates an internal voltage which opposes the flow of current into the motor from the battery.

So, this is like putting another battery in the circuit with opposite polarity to the existing battery. The combined EMF is less if you do this.

There is less EMF driving current around the circuit, so there is less current and the bulb does not glow as brightly as before the motor started to turn.

If you like to look at it another way, you could say the motor seems like a higher resistance when it is turning and this higher resistance in series with the lamp causes it to glow less brightly.

Thanks for the reply. I understand now. Although, I thought that motors produce a high initial current, and then taper off for a constant A draw? I noticed this when initiating the circuit.

My meter shows an initial current of ~.2A, once the motor increases speed the bulb dims, and the current is down to ~.16A.

The motor was adjusting its speed to make Kirchhoff's law work.

And to confirm Kirchhoff's law , I checked, and the current flow out of everything was .17A

So due to Ohms law, the motor increases speed until the current through everything is the same, yes?

Amazing fundamental.

Last edited:
Flyingwing12 said:
Thanks for the reply. I understand now. Although, I thought that motors produce a high initial current, and then taper off for a constant A draw? I noticed this when initiating the circuit.

My meter shows an initial current of ~.2A, once the motor increases speed the bulb dims, and the current is down to ~.16A.

The motor was adjusting its speed to make Kirchhoff's law work.

And to confirm Kirchhoff's law , I checked, and the current flow out of everything was .17A

So due to Ohms law, the motor increases speed until the current through everything is the same, yes?

Amazing fundamental.

If you just put the motor across the battery and measured the current, the effect would be similar.

The motor just draws less current when it rotates and the lamp is indicating this effect by dimming.

Incidentally, Kirchoffs Laws apply all the time and they are correct at any instant. The current in a series circuit can vary if one of the components changes, but the current is always the same at every part of the series circuit.

The resistance of lamps increases with increased current, so you might like to work out what effect this would have on your experiment.

vk6kro said:
If you just put the motor across the battery and measured the current, the effect would be similar.

The motor just draws less current when it rotates and the lamp is indicating this effect by dimming.

Incidentally, Kirchoffs Laws apply all the time and they are correct at any instant. The current in a series circuit can vary if one of the components changes, but the current is always the same at every part of the series circuit.

The resistance of lamps increases with increased current, so you might like to work out what effect this would have on your experiment.

( Buzzer sound )

The motor alone pulled .25A, the bulb by itself pulled .2A., and together they pull .17A

I confirm the resistance theory. But the law that states the current is the same throughout the circuit has me convinced that the motor is adjusting to keep the current the same through each component. The EMF is supposed to drop across each component, but that is hard to calculate considering both components can change resistance.

The current in a series circuit just depends on the total resistance at that time, but it is always the same at all points in the circuit at any instant.

Motor behaviour is complex, though.
A motor which will run with a certain resistor in series with it may not start to turn with that same resistor in series.

1. What is the main reason for a bulb to lose resistance?

The main reason for a bulb to lose resistance is due to the increase in temperature. When an electric current passes through the filament of the bulb, it generates heat, causing the atoms in the filament to vibrate. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the filament decreases, making it easier for the current to flow through and making the bulb brighter.

2. Can the material of the filament affect the resistance of a bulb?

Yes, the material of the filament can affect the resistance of a bulb. Different materials have different resistivity, which is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electric current. For example, tungsten is commonly used as a filament in bulbs because it has a high melting point and high resistivity, making it suitable for producing light efficiently.

3. How does the length of the filament affect the resistance of a bulb?

The longer the filament, the higher the resistance of the bulb. This is because a longer filament has a higher resistance per unit length compared to a shorter filament. Therefore, a longer filament will require more energy to generate the same amount of light as a shorter filament.

4. Why does a bulb lose resistance when it reaches the end of its lifespan?

The loss of resistance in a bulb at the end of its lifespan is due to the gradual evaporation of the filament material. As the bulb is used, the filament heats up and the filament material starts to evaporate, causing the filament to become thinner and reducing its resistivity. This results in a decrease in resistance and a decrease in the amount of light produced by the bulb.

5. Is it possible to increase the resistance of a bulb?

Yes, the resistance of a bulb can be increased by using a thicker filament or by adding resistance to the circuit. This can be achieved by using a resistor in series with the bulb, which will limit the amount of current flowing through the circuit and hence, increase the resistance of the bulb. However, this will also result in a decrease in the brightness of the bulb.