Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How will the voltage, current and resistance be distributed

1. May 3, 2017 #1
    I have a lab to work through tomorrow morning and i need to be able to explain how the voltage, current and resistance in the compound circuit diagram below is distributed, and write an equation which can be used to measure the total resistance of the circuit. I know that when you normally try and calculate the compound resistance of a circuit you go Rtotal = Rseries + 1/Rparallel, but I don't know if Resistor bulb (R1) is parallel as well as series, and if it is, how do I calculate that.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Take it in steps.
    Can you find two resistors that are definitely parallel with no complications (i.e. each joins to the other at each end)? If so, replace that pair with a single equivalent resistor using the usual parallel resistor rule.
    If not, can you find two that are in series with no complications (i.e. one end of one joins to one end of the other, with nothing else joining at that point)? If so, replace the pair with single equivalent resistor.
    Continue that process until only one resistor left.

4. May 3, 2017 #3
    So for example if all the resistors are 4 ohms, then R1 and R3 will be 2 ohms total and then I just add 4 ohms last as the total for the series ohms e.g. 6V Rtotal= Rs+1/Rp. 4+1/1/2 = total resistance of the circuit.

5. May 3, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, those two resistors do not satisfy the conditions I gave for two in parallel with no complications. They are joined directly at one end but not at the other.
    Try some other pair.

6. May 4, 2017 #5
    we sorted it out in the lab, thank you very much for your insight

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted