What material is this? Plastic or hard rubber?

In summary, the material used as a boat buffer could be either plastic or hard rubber. It is likely a baulk of recycled mixed plastics, which is commonly used in this type of application and is relatively inexpensive. Clues such as rub marks, a circular hole, and the square edged form of the baulk indicate the material's properties. However, without further information, it is difficult to determine the exact material solely based on a picture.
Andros123
Used as a boat buffer.

Attachments

• 20170715_160647.jpg
    20170715_160647.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 608
Engineering news on Phys.org
Andros123 said:
What material is this? Plastic or hard rubber
Yeah, based on that pic, I'd guess that it's probably one or the other.

Likes Asymptotic, Vanadium 50 and Nidum
phinds said:
Yeah, based on that pic, I'd guess that it's probably one or the other.
Yes, i kind of guessed that.

Best guess would be that it is a baulk of recycled mixed plastics .

Very common in this sort of application and relatively very cheap .

There are some useful clues in the rub marks and especially in that circular hole .

Also a further clue in the reasonably accurate square edged form of the baulk .

Likes Asymptotic and Andros123
Andros123 said:
Yes, i kind of guessed that.
My point was that based on nothing but that pic, it could be damned near anything. I couldn't even rule out metal just based on the pic.

Likes Asymptotic

1. What are the physical properties of plastic and hard rubber?

Plastic is a synthetic material that can be molded into various shapes and has a smooth, shiny surface. Hard rubber, also known as vulcanized rubber, is a natural material that is processed to be more durable and has a matte finish.

2. How can I tell the difference between plastic and hard rubber?

The easiest way to tell the difference is by feeling the material. Plastic is usually smooth and flexible, while hard rubber has a harder, more rigid texture. You can also try to bend the material - plastic will bend easily, while hard rubber will be more difficult to bend.

3. What are the common uses of plastic and hard rubber?

Plastic is used in a wide range of products, including packaging, toys, household items, and electronics. Hard rubber is commonly used in tires, shoe soles, and industrial machinery due to its durability and resistance to wear and tear.

4. Can plastic and hard rubber be recycled?

Yes, both plastic and hard rubber can be recycled. However, the recycling process for each material is different. Plastic is melted down and reformed into new products, while hard rubber is ground up and used as filler material in other rubber products.

5. Are there any health or environmental concerns associated with plastic and hard rubber?

There are some concerns about the use of plastic, as it can release harmful chemicals when heated or burned. Hard rubber, on the other hand, is generally considered to be safe and non-toxic. However, both materials can take hundreds of years to decompose in the environment, leading to pollution and negative impacts on wildlife.