What Math Should I Know for Classical and Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the speaker is interested in taking Classical and Quantum Mechanics courses at their university, but is unable to take the necessary mathematics prerequisites. They have taken some relevant math courses and are looking for a list of suggested concepts to study, such as linear algebra, partial differential equations, Lagrange multipliers, and Hilbert spaces. They are open to suggestions for resources that thoroughly explain these concepts in a sequential manner.
intwo
I'm interested in taking Classical and Quantum Mechanics courses next year at my university; however, I won't be able to take the prerequisite mathematics courses due to scheduling conflicts. I have taken differential calculus, integral calculus, and vector calculus and I will be taking an Ordinary Differential Equations course over the summer. If anyone could supply me or direct me to a list of suggested concepts, it'd be extremely beneficial. Books, websites, etc - whatever will explain the concepts thoroughly. A detailed, sequential list would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear Algebra for quantum.

nnnm4 said:
Linear Algebra for quantum.

Thank you, but I was wondering if you could be a little more specific. I understand that large-scale concepts such as linear algebra and partial differential equations are necessary, but what specific concepts should I note to help me with Classical and Quantum Mechanics?

Lagrange multipliers, scalar products, dual space vectors, commutators, lie brackets, variational calculus, principal value decomposition, Hilbert spaces, operators and their eigenfunctions

That should cover your bases.

I understand the importance of having a strong foundation in mathematics in order to fully grasp the concepts of Classical and Quantum Mechanics. While it may be unfortunate that your scheduling conflicts prevent you from taking the prerequisite mathematics courses, it is great that you have already taken differential calculus, integral calculus, and vector calculus, and will be taking an Ordinary Differential Equations course over the summer. These courses will provide you with a solid understanding of the fundamental mathematical concepts needed for Classical and Quantum Mechanics.

In terms of additional resources, I would recommend looking into textbooks such as "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber, and "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to Its Foundations" by Sadri Hassani. These books cover the necessary mathematical concepts in a clear and thorough manner.

Additionally, there are many online resources available such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera that offer free courses and tutorials on various mathematical topics. It may also be helpful to seek out online forums or study groups where you can discuss and practice these concepts with other students.

In terms of a sequential list, I would suggest focusing on the following topics: linear algebra, complex analysis, partial differential equations, and Fourier analysis. These concepts are essential for understanding Classical and Quantum Mechanics and will also be useful in other areas of physics.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in your studies. With dedication and determination, I have no doubt that you will be able to successfully tackle the mathematical prerequisites and excel in your Classical and Quantum Mechanics courses.

1. What are the key concepts in mathematical prerequisites?

The key concepts in mathematical prerequisites include basic arithmetic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), fractions, decimals, percentages, algebraic equations, geometry, and basic statistics.

2. Why are mathematical prerequisites important?

Mathematical prerequisites are important because they serve as the foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts. Without a solid understanding of basic math, it can be difficult to comprehend and solve more advanced mathematical problems.

3. How can I improve my understanding of mathematical prerequisites?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of mathematical prerequisites. Try to solve different types of problems and seek help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with a particular concept. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help you improve your understanding of mathematical prerequisites.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when studying mathematical prerequisites?

Some common mistakes to avoid when studying mathematical prerequisites include not fully understanding the basic concepts before moving on to more complex ones, not showing all work and steps in solving a problem, and not practicing enough. It's important to take your time and fully understand each concept before moving on to the next one.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of mathematical prerequisites in real-life situations?

Mathematical prerequisites are used in many real-life situations, such as budgeting, cooking, and planning travel routes. Understanding basic math concepts can also be helpful in everyday tasks like calculating tips, understanding discounts and sales, and managing finances. Additionally, many careers, such as engineering and finance, require a strong understanding of mathematical prerequisites.