What math skills should I re-learn to improve my understanding of physics?

• Thread starter Scottage1988
  • Start date
In summary, Scott is 27 and wants to learn more about physics and maths. He has picked up a few books, but feels like he is not yet at the level he wants to be. He is considering self-study, but is also looking for advice on what skills he should be reintroducing to his learning process. He is considering enrolling in a community college in the US and then continuing onto a university.
Scottage1988
Hi Guys,

So I'm 27 and I haven't touched GCSE Maths or Physics for a ,long while and if I'm honest didn't pay that much attention during school in these subjects either.

Recently, through the power of age, I've developed an interest in physics and now I am obsessed with learning as much as I can about this wonderful subject and the accompanying maths skills.

I've picked up a few books such as Susskind's Theoretical minimum but I feel its still pitched at a level I'm not at yet.

What I am wondering is what maths skills should I be re-learning in order to help me develop my physics knowledge?

I'm looking at self study and will be using resources such as Khan academy but any other resources you could suggest would be great.

thanks

Scott

Likes mechpeac
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes keep working on KA. You methodology should be to do mastery challenges as soon as they become available. KA is built around the "Curve of Forgetting" and will reinforce subjects at an optimal interval.

But note that KA should be an exercise supplement to your primary source, which will be books. I personally recommend you start with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0992001005/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes Scottage1988
Don't depend on online videos, they're a crutch that you won't have later on. It's better to get used to reading textbooks and figuring things out on your own.

I don't know how the UK works, if you have what's the equivalent to US community colleges where you can be placed and offered remedial classes. You should look at enrolling in some type of accredited university, take the remedial courses, and then continue on with your planned degree.

1. Where do I begin if it's been a long time since I last did research?

If it's been a while since you last did research, the first step is to refresh your knowledge on the subject. Start by reading articles, books, and other materials related to your research topic. This will help you get up to speed and give you a better understanding of the current state of research in your field.

2. How do I catch up on new methods and technologies if I've been away from research for some time?

The best way to catch up on new methods and technologies is to attend conferences and workshops related to your research topic. These events offer the opportunity to learn about the latest advancements and network with other researchers in your field. You can also reach out to colleagues or mentors for advice and resources.

3. What are the important things to consider when getting back into research after a break?

When getting back into research after a break, it's important to set realistic goals and manage your time effectively. Start by prioritizing your tasks and breaking them down into smaller, manageable steps. Also, make sure to stay organized and keep track of your progress to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

4. How can I overcome the feeling of being behind on research after taking a break?

It's common to feel behind on research after taking a break, but it's important to remember that everyone progresses at their own pace. Instead of comparing your progress to others, focus on your own goals and continue working towards them. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or guidance from colleagues or mentors.

5. What are some resources that can help me get back into research after a break?

There are many resources available to help you get back into research after a break. Some useful resources include online courses, webinars, and workshops that cover various research topics. Additionally, joining research groups or attending seminars can also provide valuable learning opportunities and help you stay updated on the latest research in your field.