What math skills should I re-learn to improve my understanding of physics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scottage1988
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Scottage1988
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Hi Guys,

So I'm 27 and I haven't touched GCSE Maths or Physics for a ,long while and if I'm honest didn't pay that much attention during school in these subjects either.

Recently, through the power of age, I've developed an interest in physics and now I am obsessed with learning as much as I can about this wonderful subject and the accompanying maths skills.

I've picked up a few books such as Susskind's Theoretical minimum but I feel its still pitched at a level I'm not at yet.

What I am wondering is what maths skills should I be re-learning in order to help me develop my physics knowledge?

I'm looking at self study and will be using resources such as Khan academy but any other resources you could suggest would be great.

thanks

Scott
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mechpeac
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes keep working on KA. You methodology should be to do mastery challenges as soon as they become available. KA is built around the "Curve of Forgetting" and will reinforce subjects at an optimal interval.

But note that KA should be an exercise supplement to your primary source, which will be books. I personally recommend you start with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0992001005/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Scottage1988
Don't depend on online videos, they're a crutch that you won't have later on. It's better to get used to reading textbooks and figuring things out on your own.

I don't know how the UK works, if you have what's the equivalent to US community colleges where you can be placed and offered remedial classes. You should look at enrolling in some type of accredited university, take the remedial courses, and then continue on with your planned degree.