What math to learn after differential eq. and linear algebra?

In summary, you should get exposure to statistics if nothing else to be familiar with the terms and process controls involve the use of statistical analysis.
worryingchem
Hi, I'm currently studying to become a chemical engineer.
After learning differential equation and linear algebra, I've realized how useful they are in my engineering courses since they make setting up equations and solving them so much easier. So I was wondering if there are other math that would be useful for me to take, like maybe statistics, discrete math, or abstract algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as an undergraduate chemical engineering degree is concerned, you don't need any additional math courses.

Numerical analysis is a must, it is necessary for simulating processes or solving some advanced models which are very hard or impossible to solve analytically. Most of the modelling done in industry is numerical, not only because of the complexity of some models, but it also saves a lot of time. Still, I also recommend you study basic partial differential equations on your own, maybe even some Fourier analysis, it wouldn't hurt, and it's useful for modelling advanced transport phenomena analytically.

Likes Bong_Nebula
worryingchem said:
Hi, I'm currently studying to become a chemical engineer.
After learning differential equation and linear algebra, I've realized how useful they are in my engineering courses since they make setting up equations and solving them so much easier. So I was wondering if there are other math that would be useful for me to take, like maybe statistics, discrete math, or abstract algebra?
You should get exposed to statistics if nothing else to be familiar with the terms. Process controls involve the use of statistical analysis.

https://controls.engin.umich.edu/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Check out Section 3 for more information on statistical process controls in a ChemEng environment.

I would say your best bet at this point is to focus on ChemE classes (I don't think anyone is expecting you to take anymore math) but if you want to take another math class, like MexChemE said, I would find some numerical analysis/scientific computing class. I would expect any school with an applied math department to offer some flavor of this subject, so it would be best to check in your school's applied math department.

Thank you everyone for the advises.
I'll look over these topics and see what I can use as study materials. Also, my school does offer a Numerical Methods in ChemE course and a Numerical Analysis for Mathematical Computer Science course so I'll check these out.

PDE's!

1. What is the next step after learning differential equations and linear algebra?

After mastering differential equations and linear algebra, the next logical step would be to learn multivariable calculus. This branch of math deals with functions of multiple variables and their derivatives, which is essential for many fields of science and engineering.

2. Is it necessary to learn real analysis after differential equations and linear algebra?

While real analysis is often considered a fundamental subject in mathematics, it is not necessarily a must-learn after differential equations and linear algebra. However, it is highly recommended for those interested in pursuing advanced studies in math or related fields.

3. Are there any specific applications of math after differential equations and linear algebra?

Yes, there are many applications of math beyond differential equations and linear algebra. Some examples include optimization, numerical analysis, statistics, and machine learning. These fields utilize advanced mathematical concepts and techniques to solve real-world problems.

4. What is the best way to continue learning math after differential equations and linear algebra?

The best way to continue learning math after differential equations and linear algebra is to take courses in advanced math topics, such as multivariable calculus, real analysis, and abstract algebra. You can also supplement your learning by reading textbooks, working on challenging problems, and participating in math competitions.

5. Are there any other branches of math that are useful to learn after differential equations and linear algebra?

Yes, there are many other branches of math that are useful to learn after differential equations and linear algebra. Some examples include complex analysis, topology, differential geometry, and number theory. These subjects have various applications in different fields, and learning them can broaden your understanding of mathematics.