Is the shape of an atom really spherical or is there more to it?

• Thread starter bobsmith76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, the atom statue is a disaster because it is not what an atom looks like at all. The electron has a spherical shape, but it is difficult to say something has a shape when we get down to the subatomic level.
bobsmith76
There is a big statue of an atom I think in the Hague or maybe Brussels. We all know what it looks like but to me this monument is a catastrophe because that's not what an atom looks like at all. Colors are just living beings ways of converting the information in the wave length of an electromagnetic wave into a new form of information that living beings can innately sense. "Objective matter" that is to say its properties independent of living beings, does not have color. But let's take a look at protons, neutrons and electrons. They're not spherical at all, right? We have no way at the moment of knowing what an electron's shape is or its properties independent of living beings. A proton is made up of three quarks and we do not know what their shape is either, right?

I put this is in atomic physics because it discusses the atom.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that questions of the type "what does an atom or a quark etc look like?" have any meaningful answers.I don't see anything wrong in forming mental pictures of these microscopic particles provided that one realizes that such pictures are just models only and provided that one gains an awareness of the limitations of the models.As an example when dealing with monoatomic gas molecules colliding at "moderate temperatures" one might find it helpful to imagine the atoms as being like infinitely hard solid spheres.At higher temperatures when some of the collisions become exciting and or ionising it might be more helpful to consider the basic atomic structure model.

bobsmith76 said:
I put this is in atomic physics because it discusses the atom.

It has been moved out of that forum and into GP because it doesn't deal with advanced level discussion of atoms.

Zz.

bobsmith76 said:
But let's take a look at protons, neutrons and electrons. They're not spherical at all, right? We have no way at the moment of knowing what an electron's shape is or its properties independent of living beings. A proton is made up of three quarks and we do not know what their shape is either, right?

It is difficult to say something has a shape when we get down to the subatomic level. The electrons electric field or magnetic moment or something was measured and was determined to be a perfect sphere to the best our measurements were able to detect. Is this the shape of the electron? Who knows. It may not even have a shape. A proton and neutron, being made of quarks, is even harder to discuss. The quarks are thought to have freedom to move around to the extent that the color force allows, so it would be kind of like saying that marbles shaken around in a jar have a shape.

This is not a well-posed question. First, there are two questions, "what does matter really look like?" and "what does an atom really look like?" I am assuming this is about the second.

What does an atom really look like? It's really too small to see. Really. That's your answer.

Now, I suspect that this isn't really your question. Your real question is probably "what would an atom look like if..." But a) that isn't what it really looks like, and b) we could guess at what you mean, but it would be better for you to think about it and pose the question you have rather than to let us guess.

bobsmith76 said:
There is a big statue of an atom I think in the Hague or maybe Brussels. We all know what it looks like but to me this monument is a catastrophe because that's not what an atom looks like at all.
If you mean the Atomium that is a ball-and-stick representation of an iron crystal unit cell.

This is not surly we told about the shape of these atom. Basically this property show this is spherical or may be that are some other shape and fast motion may be build that shape spherical.

tanyatarots said:
This is not surly we told about the shape of these atom. Basically this property show this is spherical or may be that are some other shape and fast motion may be build that shape spherical.

I find this sentence to be incoherent. Could you break your thoughts down to be more understandable?

1. What is matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It can be in the form of solid, liquid, or gas.

2. How is matter structured?

Matter is made up of tiny particles called atoms, which are composed of even smaller particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. These particles are held together by forces called nuclear forces and electromagnetic forces.

3. What does matter really look like?

The true appearance of matter is not visible to our naked eyes. Atoms and their subatomic particles are too small to be seen, even with the most powerful microscopes. However, scientists have used advanced technology such as electron microscopes to capture images of individual atoms and molecules.

4. How does matter behave?

The behavior of matter is determined by its physical and chemical properties. These properties include characteristics such as mass, density, melting point, boiling point, and reactivity. Matter can also undergo physical and chemical changes, such as changing states of matter or forming new substances through chemical reactions.

5. Can matter be destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of mass, matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. This means that during physical or chemical changes, the total amount of mass remains constant. So, while matter can be transformed into different forms, it cannot be destroyed.