What Metal Best Emits Infrared Light for Camera Detection?

In summary, the best metal to create infrared frequency is not relevant as any material can emit IR when heated. The amount of metal needed to produce infrared light for a room will depend on the specific application and frequency range desired. Some options for creating IR light include heating an object, passing current through it, or using IR LED's. Additionally, if the intention is for a camera to detect the IR light, it is important to consider the frequency range and limitations of the camera's capabilities.
vaano7
the name says everything...but i want to know which metal is the besst to create infrared frequency

and how far can it travel,bounce n come back with a detectable intensity?
i know the 2nd question is stupid coz we r talking abt em wave they don't get absorbed in medium but they do get absorbed when it an object (am i right)

n how much of the metal will i need to light up a room with infrared light?
visible to the camera not to the human eye :D

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you creating this infrared light? Heating an object up? Using an LED?
Also, please try to use proper grammar and spelling, as it is very difficult to understand what you are asking.

Drakkith said:
Also, please try to use proper grammar and spelling, as it is very difficult to understand what you are asking.

Agreed. As far as I am concerned, the cost of my interest in your problem is that I need to read what you are saying easily!:wink: When you wear spectacles and a hearing aid, you will know what I mean.

And you do need to be more specific about how you intend to produce your IR.

i get it my grammer is bad :D but my question is not answered...i want some matel that easily emits ir

vaano7 said:
i get it my grammer is bad :D but my question is not answered...i want some matel that easily emits ir

What did you want to do to it for it to emit IR? Heat it up, pass current through it, Ionise it?
The spectrum of EM that comes off a hot object will have a peak in the IR region. It doesn't matter what material you use for that. If you just want IR, then some sort of filter would normally be used. You can get IR lamps for surveillance cameras, I believe. They would be basically filament lamps with filters to cut out the visible light.
It may help if you told us your actual application.

vaano7 said:

That's because you didn't provide further information, like when I asked how you planned to create infrared light.
Also, what frequency range within the IR spectrum did you want to create and use?

ok i thought it would b easy but its deeper..seems like i have to research to make my own question clear..sorry n thanks for everythin :)

Based on you saying you want a camera to "see" it, I will assume you need near IR.
Most silicone based cameras can only detect IR close to the visible spectrum.
There are many IR LED's that will do this, Think about the LED's in a TV remote control.
As far as heating metal for an IR source. Think about IRON, as it heats up it gets dull
red,then orange-red, and at it's hottest it's called white hot. These colors represent
the more energetic wavelengths as the metal gets hotter.
A piece of iron, just before it is hot enough for you to see it, the camera can see the IR that is being emitted.

Related to What Metal Best Emits Infrared Light for Camera Detection?

1. What is a beam of infra red?

A beam of infra red is a concentrated ray of light that falls within the invisible spectrum of electromagnetic radiation. It has a longer wavelength than visible light and is commonly used in various scientific, industrial, and medical applications.

2. How is a beam of infra red created?

A beam of infra red is created by passing visible light through a material that allows only IR wavelengths to pass through. This is called an IR filter. Another method is by heating an object to a high temperature, which causes it to emit IR radiation.

3. What are the properties and characteristics of a beam of infra red?

A beam of infra red has several properties and characteristics, including longer wavelengths, lower frequencies, and lower energy compared to visible light. It also has the ability to penetrate certain materials and is commonly used in remote sensing and thermal imaging.

4. What are the uses of a beam of infra red?

A beam of infra red has many practical applications, including communication systems, remote controls, night vision devices, and medical treatments. It is also used in industrial processes, such as heating and drying, and in detecting and measuring temperature variations.

5. What precautions should be taken when working with a beam of infra red?

When working with a beam of infra red, it is important to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses or goggles, as it can damage the eyes. It is also essential to follow proper handling and storage procedures to prevent accidental exposure. Additionally, it is crucial to understand any potential hazards and to use the appropriate safety measures when using IR equipment.