What minor should I choose for my engineering degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter adpr02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, the speaker is considering taking a minor for their degree and is seeking advice on what minor to choose. They are currently in second year Mechanical Engineering with a specialization in Mechatronics and are interested in exploring options outside of the commonly chosen minor in Commerce. They are considering an English minor due to its potential benefits for an MBA in the future. They are seeking opinions on whether a minor would be beneficial for their future career in managerial positions and are open to options such as math, physics, commerce, and arts. They have also mentioned that employers have expressed that minors do not hold much weight in employment considerations and are looking for a minor that aligns with their interests.
adpr02
Hey all,

As the title suggests, I'm seriously considering taking a minor for my degree and am curious what it should be. I'm currently in second year Mechanical Engineering specializing in Mechatronics. I'm also taking co-op. I find that most engineers who take a minor do it in Commerce - and I want to be more original.

I am considering an English minor instead as I (currently) believe that it would be most beneficial - especially since I'm planning on doing an MBA later down the road so I think Commerce may be redundant.

Do you think this would help me later down the road, or would you suggest a different minor. There are math, physics, commerce or arts available here at UBC. What is industry looking for?

Any opinions are much appreciated. Thanks

Quick edit: I guess I should have said that I wish to go into more managerial positions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've been told by a significant number of employers that minors do not have much of an effect on consideration for employment. Minor in something that interests you.

I would recommend considering a minor in mathematics or physics for your engineering degree. These subjects are closely related to engineering and can provide you with a strong foundation in analytical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, having a background in math or physics can make you stand out to potential employers and give you a competitive edge in the job market.

However, if you are interested in pursuing more managerial positions in the future, a minor in English could also be beneficial. Effective communication is essential in any industry, and having strong writing and speaking skills can set you apart from other engineers. Additionally, an English minor can also help you develop critical thinking and analytical skills, which are valuable in management positions.

Ultimately, the decision of which minor to choose should depend on your personal interests and career goals. Consider exploring different courses and talking to professionals in the industry to gain a better understanding of what skills and knowledge are in demand. Whatever minor you choose, make sure it complements your engineering degree and helps you achieve your long-term career objectives.

Related to What minor should I choose for my engineering degree?

What should I minor in?

Choosing a minor can be a difficult decision, but here are some frequently asked questions that can help guide you in making your decision.

1. What is the purpose of a minor?

The purpose of a minor is to supplement your major by providing you with additional knowledge and skills in a specific subject area. Minors can also help you stand out to potential employers or graduate programs.

2. Should I choose a minor based on my major?

Not necessarily. While some students choose a minor that complements their major, others may decide to pursue a minor in a completely different subject that interests them. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals.

3. How many credits are typically required for a minor?

The number of credits required for a minor can vary depending on the institution and major. On average, most minors require around 15-18 credits.

4. Can I have more than one minor?

Yes, some students choose to pursue multiple minors. However, it's important to make sure you have enough time and resources to successfully complete all of your requirements.

5. Will a minor help me get a job?

Having a minor can help make you stand out to potential employers, but it's not a guarantee. It's important to also have relevant experience and skills in your field of interest to increase your chances of getting a job.