1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What options to choose for my physics degree

1. May 2, 2006 #1
    hi all basically im going to be starting an evening degree hopefully in september and i have or can choose which options i would like to take

source http://www.phys.ucl.ac.uk/part-time/PTPhysics/PTInfo/PTInfo2005.html

batch 1
    Statistical Thermodynamics and Condensed Matter Physics
    Solid State Physics
    Lasers and Modern Optics
    Electricity and Magnetism 2
    Topics in Modern Cosmology

batch 2
    Atomic and Molecular Physics
    Environmental Physics
    Nuclear and Particle Physics
    Quantum Mechanics
    Principles and Practice of Electronics

i can only choose which batch to study unfortunately i cant mix and match them but i just wondering which batch you think is more interesting/harder/more or less maths etc

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2006 #2
    From that website, it seems that the normal duration for a degree is 4 years. It seems that you want to cut off one of the last years -- are you sure that is possible or advisible? I would wait until you are enrolled in the program and can get advice from the faculty before deciding this one way or the other.
  4. May 2, 2006 #3
    your right what an idiot <---- :( how dopey of me just wondering which topics you think will bemost interesting

many thansk
  5. May 17, 2006 #4
    I think if you like experimental physics you should choose batch1, but if you prefer theoretical physics you should choose batch2.

In batch2, maybe you will have to be bit more like a mathematician, then in batch1. Your decision should depend on your interesting in physics.
    What topics do you really like in physics?

I, myself found Quantum mechanics the most interesting part of physics, but it needs deep knowladge in maths.
    That's your decision, do some search in the topics before you make your choice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?