What percent of the universe is outside of galaxies?

In summary: There isn't a more accurate estimate, but there is a ballpark estimate you can get by looking at the distances between galaxies and the average diameter of galaxies. The Earth is about 10 galactic radii away from the M31 galaxy, which gets you a 99.9% chance of not being within a galaxy. Pretty much all of the universe is outside of galaxies by this estimate.
deltapapazulu
Summary:: What percent of the universe is outside of galaxies?

Hello,

I need this information for a writing piece I am doing. I need specifically to be able to state that if someone was to randomly relocate to somewhere else in the universe, what is the probability that they would end up inside (or outside) of a galaxy.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

[note: this is not an inquiry into teleportation. I am not asking a scifi question. I am asking an astrophysics question]

Space news on Phys.org
deltapapazulu said:
Pretty much all of it. 99.9%+

EDIT: I see I was way low on how much of the universe is outside galaxies. It's more like 99.999%+

Likes davenn and BillTre
phinds said:

EDIT: I see I was way low on how much of the universe is outside galaxies. It's more like 99.999%+

Thank you for this reply!

Could you please link me to a good source on this?

Doubt if there is one since it's a totally trivial calculation. Just google "average diameter of galaxies" and "average distance between galaxies"

If you're just looking for a ballpark estimate, the Earth and M31 are 10 galactic radii apart. If you look at the Hibble deep field pictures, they are at least 10 galactic radii apart. That gets you 99.9+% without doing much work.

phinds said:

99.999%+ looks like a good estimate to me.

Looking at a list of the nearest galaxies to ours, there are a whole bunch of a few hundred or a few thousand light years in diameter within 10 million light years, which defines our "local group". But there's only a small handful approaching 100,000 light years in diameter in that group. So let's say it's equivalent of about 10 in that 10 MLY. That's 99.999%.

But again, that's still the density of our local group, so the universe as a whole is going to be less.

You also need to define where a galaxy "ends". The density of stars just get smaller and smaller as you move away from the center. if there is still one star gravitationally bound to the galaxy that is further away from the galaxy center than you are, are you still "inside" the galaxy?

Likes Klystron
phyzguy said:
You also need to define where a galaxy "ends". The density of stars just get smaller and smaller as you move away from the center. if there is still one star gravitationally bound to the galaxy that is further away from the galaxy center than you are, are you still "inside" the galaxy?
It seems like this sort of calculation would have already been done somewhere. Anyway here is how I need it to show up in my blog:

If one were hypothetically to randomly relocate to anywhere in the universe, the chances that they would end up within a galaxy are about 1 in _______________.

Would it be closer to 1 in 1000 or 1 in 1,000,000 or higher?

deltapapazulu said:
If one were hypothetically to randomly relocate to anywhere in the universe, the chances that they would end up within a galaxy are about 1 in _______________.

Do you know how to convert from a percentage to a 1 in X?

russ_watters said:
Do you know how to convert from a percentage to a 1 in X?

do you mean percent to decimal? I learned math through calc 3 and bout halfway through DE and some L.A. but I never learned Probability math. I would love to though. Can you recommend a good calc based entry text?

deltapapazulu said:
It seems like this sort of calculation would have already been done somewhere. Anyway here is how I need it to show up in my blog:

It's about one in a million of finding yourself in the stellar part of the galaxy. Although, you are more likely to end up in the dark matter halo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter_halo

deltapapazulu said:
[note: this is not an inquiry into teleportation. I am not asking a scifi question. I am asking an astrophysics question]

Did you mean to ask this in the sci-fi forum, @deltapapazulu? There is an astronomy forum on PF as well. That might be a more suitable place for any follow up as not everyone dips into the SF posts.

The thread was moved here.

Vanadium 50 said:

Aha, thanks @Vanadium 50. Is there a way to see that such moves occur from the UI?

I don't think so. I used something called "memory", although at my age "forgettery" might be closer to the truth.

• Haha
Likes member 656954
Tghu Verd said:
Did you mean to ask this in the sci-fi forum, @deltapapazulu? There is an astronomy forum on PF as well. That might be a more suitable place for any follow up as not everyone dips into the SF posts.
If you saw his original version of his thread start, you would understand why it ended up in SciFi.
Vanadium 50 said:
Yup, I did that when he reposted a deleted thread. I was trying to be charitable in allowing it anywhere here. In its re-posted form, it's pretty much okay. But understanding the OP's original intent and story line, it seemed inappropriate to allow it in the technical forums.
Tghu Verd said:
Aha, thanks @Vanadium 50. Is there a way to see that such moves occur from the UI?
Sure, just click on the Report link for a related post and ask the Mentors about the history of the thread. :smile:

Likes member 656954
berkeman said:
Sure, just click on the Report link for a related post and ask the Mentors about the history of the thread. :smile:

Walnut, meet hammer :doh:

My question was in case I'd missed something obvious, ,@berkeman, but I'll post a suggestion that moved OPs be flagged somehow and it can be considered with all the other ideas.

The gist of the OP's question can be answered by science fiction writing standards. By definition characters in a story arrive close enough to a 'galaxy' for something interesting to happen. Even "Waiting for Godot" type characters have their fog.

Cosmological answers seem predicated on the idea that what we see around us more or less repeats across the universe; there is nothing special about our view or location other than (perhaps) our presence. Popular science writers such as Carl Sagan, Kip Thorne and Isaac Asimov describe these concepts succinctly.

See principle of mediocrity vs. anthropic.

It depends on if you define the size of a galaxy by the volume of normal matter or the dark matter halo. The typical volume of a galaxy by normal matter is ~10^12 ly^3. If you include the DM halo it's a million times larger. The total number of galaxies in the observable universe is ~10^12. The volume of the observable universe is ~10^32 ly^3. So the fraction of the volume occupied by galaxies is ~10^12*10^12/10^32 = 10^-10 or 10^-4 with DM halo.

For most purposes, the DM halo would be indistinguishable from vacuum. I mean, our best efforts have so far failed to detect it.

Yeah the main point was that the definition of the "edge of the galaxy" is not clear. Is it defined by the edge of photon emitting matter or some sort of gravitational edge? What we can say is that the size of a galaxy is somewhere between those to definitions.

1. What is the estimated percentage of the universe that is outside of galaxies?

According to current estimates, approximately 95% of the universe is made up of dark matter and dark energy, which is outside of galaxies.

2. How do scientists determine the percentage of the universe that is outside of galaxies?

Scientists use various methods, such as studying the rotation of galaxies and observing the effects of gravitational lensing, to estimate the amount of dark matter and dark energy in the universe.

3. Is there any observable evidence of the existence of dark matter and dark energy?

Yes, there is evidence from observations of the cosmic microwave background, galaxy clusters, and the large-scale structure of the universe that supports the existence of dark matter and dark energy.

4. What is the role of dark matter and dark energy in the universe?

Dark matter and dark energy are believed to play a crucial role in the structure and expansion of the universe. They provide the necessary gravitational pull to hold galaxies and galaxy clusters together, and are responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

5. Can we ever know for sure what percentage of the universe is outside of galaxies?

As our understanding and technology continue to advance, it is possible that we may one day have a more precise measurement of the percentage of the universe that is outside of galaxies. However, the nature of dark matter and dark energy still remains a mystery and further research and observations are needed to fully understand their role in the universe.