What Percentage of Washers Falls Outside the Tolerance Range?

In summary, a percentage of washers in a given batch will be discarded based on the mean and deviation of a normal distribution.
ElBell
Hi Everyone,

Question:

Mean is 0.252, standard deviation is 0.003, permitted tolerance of 0.246 to 0.258. What percentage of washers will be discarded.

Attempt:

I am so stuck. I have looked at my text and online for hours and know that it should be fairly easy but I am getting stuck with all the equations and what the symbols mean.

Can anybody please shed some light on this topic?

Any help would be very much appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the following:

[tex]
p = P(\{0.246 \le X \le 0.258\}) = P\left(\{\frac{0.246 - 0.252}{0.003} \le Z \le \frac{0.258 - 0.252}{0.003}\}\right)
[/tex]

where:

[tex]
Z \equiv \frac{X - \mu}{\sigma}
[/tex]

is a normalized random variable with a [itex]\mathcal{N}(0, 1)[/itex]. The probability of an event:

[tex]
P(\{a \le Z \le b\}) = P(\{Z \le b\}) - P(\{Z \le b\}) = \Phi(b) -\Phi(a)
[/tex]

and the function [itex]\Phi(z)[/itex] is tabulated in any standard Statistics Table.

The ratio p that you would find is actually the ratio of accepted machines. What is the ratio of discarded machines? How can you convert it into percent?

ElBell said:
Hi Everyone,

Question:

Mean is 0.252, standard deviation is 0.003, permitted tolerance of 0.246 to 0.258. What percentage of washers will be discarded.

Attempt:

I am so stuck. I have looked at my text and online for hours and know that it should be fairly easy but I am getting stuck with all the equations and what the symbols mean.

Can anybody please shed some light on this topic?

Any help would be very much appreciated :smile:
Okay, let me walk you through this:

What a mean is in a normal distribution is the expectancy value, basically see it like this 'If we repeat the experiment infinite times, the average value we expect is the mean', like, when we throw up a coin 'infinitely many' times, we averagely get heads 0.5 of the time, the expectancy value for head is thus 0.5. In a normal distribution, the mean is always the same as the expectancy value, but this needn't be true in other distributions.

The standard deviation is the expectancy value of how much we expect it to deviate from the mean. Basically the average deviation from the mean. For instance, say for sake of argument that human males are on average 1.80 m in height and the standard deviation is 5 cm. We then expect after meassuring a very large sample of human males that on average, they are 5 removed from 180 cm, as much below and above. This is thus distance, which cannot be negative, and not difference which can be negative.

Okay, the easiest to do this is to calculate what percentage makes it, and just get the complement to see which percentage gets discarded. A washer either makes it or gets discarded, it's binary situation, so we can use the complement rule.

So we have to know how many washers fall between [0.246, 0.258] when the average is 0.252 and we expect of a random washer to be 0.003 from the average, right?

Well, that number as a ratio of all washers, a percentage if you like, happens to be the surface area under our normal distribution from 0.246 to 0.258. This is what defines the normal distribution, the probability that a random item is between x and y is the surface area under the graph between x and y. Indeed, it's called normal distribution because the surface area under the entire graph is always exactly 1, even though it runs unbounded in both positive and negative. We say the integral converges if we take the limits to infinity, at some graphs, it diverges towards positive or minus infinity rather than a constant finite value.

So, assuming that f(mean,deviation) is our curve. As a normal distribution is determined completely by its mean and its standard deviation (given the symbols mu and sigma respectively), we have to integrate f(0.252,0.003) from 0.246 to 0.258.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution#Probability_density_function

And that page there explains better than I can hope to how to transform our normal curve into our cumulative normal curve, which is the primitive function we need to integrate it. (Most graphic calculators will do this for you)

Edit: remember, mean is given by mu, ([itex]\mu[/itex]) standard deviation by sigma ([itex]\sigma[/itex])

Related to What Percentage of Washers Falls Outside the Tolerance Range?

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a type of probability distribution where the data is symmetrically distributed around the mean, with most of the data falling within one standard deviation from the mean. It is also known as a bell curve due to its characteristic shape.

What are the characteristics of a normal distribution?

The characteristics of a normal distribution include a symmetrical shape, with the mean, median, and mode all equal to each other. It also follows the empirical rule, where approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation from the mean, 95% within two standard deviations, and 99.7% within three standard deviations.

How is a normal distribution used in statistics?

A normal distribution is commonly used in statistics to model and analyze real-world data. It is often used to describe continuous data, such as heights, weights, and test scores. It is also used in hypothesis testing and confidence interval calculations.

What is the importance of the mean and standard deviation in a normal distribution?

The mean and standard deviation are important parameters in a normal distribution as they determine the shape and location of the distribution. The mean represents the center of the distribution, while the standard deviation measures the spread of the data around the mean. These values are used to calculate probabilities and make inferences about the data.

How can you determine if a dataset follows a normal distribution?

There are several methods to determine if a dataset follows a normal distribution, including visual inspection of a histogram or a normal probability plot. Additionally, statistical tests, such as the Shapiro-Wilk test, can be used to assess the normality of the data. It is also important to consider the sample size, as larger samples tend to better approximate a normal distribution.