What science forums support philosophical discussions?

In summary, the thread was closed because it was full of nonsense that was questioned and challenged but what's the point?
Spathi
My thread "Space-time quantization and its philosophical aspect" was closed. Can you suggest other science forum where I can create such threads? I have many ideas of this kind, and I want to initiate conversations about them. And what forums support the discussion of new ideas and hypotheses in science?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try an Internet search for "philosophy forum" if that's not too practical and concrete a proposal.

• Haha
Likes mcastillo356, pinball1970, russ_watters and 2 others
Spathi said:
And what forums support the discussion of new ideas and hypotheses in science?
I'll send you a PM with some suggestions that have come up over the years.

Likes mcastillo356
berkeman said:
I'll send you a PM with some suggestions that have come up over the years.
Why not just post them here then lock this thread. Gives us a place to point people to when this comes up again (as you KNOW it will).

Likes mcastillo356
IIRC, we decided among the Mentors to avoid posting them in the open forums. I think I remember some of the reasons, but you know how my memory has been declining... :wink:

Besides, you could always Report my post and ask that the policy be reviewed... :smile:

I just has a look at one. Every thread seemed to be the nonsense that we get here several times a week. To be fair, the nonsense was questioned and challenged but what's the point?

We do the right thing by keeping this out.

Likes Rive, pinball1970, BillTre and 3 others
Most suggestions I can think of... not posting them in public is a right thing to do :wink:

Likes berkeman
I think we are over-thinking it. Most fora support philosophy - at least by not don't explicitly outlawing it. PF is the rare exception.

The OP would be better to find a science forum s/he/they like; statistically, it's quite likely to support philosophy.

• Informative
Likes phinds
berkeman said:
IIRC, we decided among the Mentors to avoid posting them in the open forums. I think I remember some of the reasons, but you know how my memory has been declining... :wink:

Besides, you could always Report my post and ask that the policy be reviewed..
You want to say that you won't approve if I post a link to one of the forums berkeman sent to me in PM?

Spathi said:
You want to say that you won't approve if I post a link to one of the forums berkeman sent to me in PM?
PF does not allow discussions on philosophy. Why would you turn around and post the link? Cultivate wisdom.

Some people say that I am good at explaining complex things clearly. Therefore, I am trying to study and understand quantum mechanics and physics in general, in order to further contribute to their popularization; the purpose of this popularization is to explain to ordinary people the philosophical elements of quantum mechanics (how quantum weirdness illustrates unfamiliar aspects of reality). Besides forums, what other channels can be used for this? Can I publish such ideas in scientific or at least philosophical journals (I am not a physicist myself, although I work in computer chemistry)? What journals can you suggest?
If a scientist develops a new interpretation of QM, he will be able to publish it in scientific journals, or only in philosophical ones?

Frabjous said:
PF does not allow discussions on philosophy.
By the way:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2208.09964.pdf

As an interesting side note, let me comment that both David Deutsch and Richard Feynman were thinking about quantum foundations when they were looking at quantum computing. My gut feeling is that this is significant. If you subscribe to David Mermin’s version of the Copenhagen interpretation –“shut up and calculate”– then you avoid thinking about quantum weirdness, so maybe you also avoid thinking about possible uses for quantum weirdness.

If you don't like philosophy, maybe you think the only good interpretation of QM is "shut up and calculate"? But here the inventors of quantum computers disagree with this.

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
Since apparently you just don't want to stop challenging the policy I think it'll be useful to remind you that interpretation of quantum 'weirdness' is not exactly philosophy: rather it's about translating (interpreting - hence the name) something very not-wordy math to words and viewpoints. You need to be able to do the 'shut up and calculate' part first to have anything valid coming out of it.

Philosophy in general is very different can of worms.

Likes pinball1970 and PeroK
Spathi said:
Please don't try to do that. This thread is done.

1. What is the purpose of science forums that support philosophical discussions?

The purpose of these forums is to provide a platform for individuals to engage in discussions and debates about the intersection of science and philosophy. This includes topics such as ethics, epistemology, and the nature of reality.

2. Are these forums only for scientists and philosophers?

No, these forums are open to anyone who is interested in exploring the relationship between science and philosophy. People from all backgrounds and levels of expertise are welcome to participate and contribute to the discussions.

3. How are these forums moderated?

These forums are typically moderated by a team of administrators who ensure that discussions remain respectful and on-topic. They may also provide guidance and resources to help facilitate productive discussions.

4. Can I share my own theories and ideas on these forums?

Yes, these forums welcome original ideas and theories from members. However, it is important to support your arguments with evidence and reasoning, as these forums prioritize critical thinking and logical discourse.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in these forums?

Yes, most science forums that support philosophical discussions have a set of rules and guidelines that members are expected to follow. These may include being respectful to others, avoiding personal attacks, and staying on-topic. It is important to review and adhere to these rules in order to maintain a productive and welcoming environment for all participants.