What shapes have the greatest/smallest moment of inertia

In summary, the conversation is discussing a search for a list of shapes and their relative moment of inertia. The links provided include lists of area moments of inertia and moments of inertia, with an explanation of how the mass distribution affects the moment of inertia. The conversation also touches on the idea of calculating the moment of inertia for specific objects and the principle of the second direction of instability. Finally, the conversation concludes with a discussion about the effort required to twirl an object from different points.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I'm basically just trying to find a list of all the shapes and their relative moment of inertia to each other. I want to see what shapes have more and what less, just to get a more intuitive sense to this subject. Does anyone show such a list, or maybe can just tell me of basic geometrical objects and their relative moment of inertia? I'll be happy to read about it!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's great, but is there a list with numbers rather than unknowns you now have to plug in numbers to and see? (math doesn't come that intuitive to me-- I have to plug in and calculate unlike you :P )

It depends on the numbers. :wink:

As ILSe said, the larger the radius from your axis, the larger the moment of inertia for two objects of equivalent mass.

If you're bored, you could always do a little Monte Carlo.

Femme_physics said:
That's great, but is there a list with numbers rather than unknowns you now have to plug in numbers to and see? (math doesn't come that intuitive to me-- I have to plug in and calculate unlike you :P )

Hmm, most lists will include unknowns I think (typically mass and size).

But let me try this.
If you look at the second web link, you'll find for instance 2 pictures of a rod.

The first rod has the axis at its end.
The second rod has the axis in its center.

The moments of inertia are:

[tex]I_{end}=\frac {mL^2} 3[/tex]

[tex]I_{center}=\frac {mL^2} {12}[/tex]

Now we have 2 numbers: [itex]\frac 1 3[/itex] and [itex]\frac 1 {12}[/itex]

Which one is greater? ;)EDIT: Now think of twirling a rod in your hands.
What will take more effort?
Turning it with one end in your hands, or twirling it with the middle in your hands?

Last edited:
If you take any object and ask which direction if rotated would it be most unstable, then that principal direction has the 2nd largest (or 2nd smallest - they're the same thing) moment of inertia of the three possible axis.

Take a human. If the human does a pirouette, that is stable. If a human does a cartwheel, that is stable. If a human falls on their face, that is unstable. So for a human, the axis that goes through his or her sides has the 2nd highest moment of inertia. The axis that goes through his or her head happens to have the lowest moment of inertia, and the axis that goes through his or her stomach has the highest moment of inertia.

Hmm, most lists will include unknowns I think (typically mass and size).
But let me try this.
If you look at the second web link, you'll find for instance 2 pictures of a rod.

The first rod has the axis at its end.
The second rod has the axis in its center.

The moments of inertia are:

[tex]I_{end}=\frac {mL^2} 3[/tex]

[tex]I_{center}=\frac {mL^2} {12}[/tex]

Now we have 2 numbers: [itex]\frac 1 3[/itex] and [itex]\frac 1 {12}[/itex]

Which one is greater? ;)

Well, yea, but analyizing each and every one of them takes a lot of time. You'd think someone would've bothered to make a list without unknowns. But, oh well, maybe I myself will make that list some day.
EDIT: Now think of twirling a rod in your hands.
What will take more effort?
Turning it with one end in your hands, or twirling it with the middle in your hands?
[/quote]
I think twirling it in the middle.

Femme_physics said:
I think twirling it in the middle.

I guess you're right. :)
Having seen those cheer leaders, it looks very hard to twirl them in the middle. :rolleyes:

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is affected by the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This value is also affected by the shape and distribution of the object's mass.

3. Which shapes have the greatest moment of inertia?

Shapes with a larger mass and a greater distance from the axis of rotation will have a greater moment of inertia. This includes shapes such as a solid cylinder or a hollow sphere.

4. Which shapes have the smallest moment of inertia?

Shapes with a smaller mass and a shorter distance from the axis of rotation will have a smaller moment of inertia. This includes shapes such as a thin rod or a hollow tube.

5. How does moment of inertia affect an object's motion?

Objects with a greater moment of inertia will require more torque to rotate and will have a slower rate of rotation. Objects with a smaller moment of inertia will require less torque and will rotate faster.