Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should be the power rating of the StepDown Transformer?

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1

Yam

Dear Forum Members,

I imported an electrical equipment from the US which uses 110v, my country used 220v and as such i need to pirchase a step down transformer.

The equipment is a piece of antique and doesnt come with much instructions. I could only get a circuit diagram and i am puzzled by what is VAL. Could anyone help me out?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2
    As i saw your circuit its a one step -down transformer such that if you input 240 volts it can give an output of 115 volts - naturally the number of turns in the primary and secondary have been adjusted to give this output . i could only that VAL. refers to the value of the voltage -there is no restriction on current given - but before using it one should check by a multimeter the real output voltage with a main line input-just to be on safe side- if the equipment is very heavy say 10 kg or so then it may be rugged one and can withstand higher load-that is my guess!

4. Feb 20, 2016 #3

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any answer to your question must begin with the power demand of your as antique device, plus a safety margin such as 2:1.

If you don't know how much power your antique device uses, your question can't be answered.

5. Feb 20, 2016 #4

Yam

I cant seem to find any information of the power demand of this equipment, its actually a large antique chemical photobooth.

Ill do my best to search for the power demand

6. Feb 20, 2016 #5

Yam

After getting a multimeter, is there anyway i can measure the current without cutting the electrical cables?

I have the circuit diagram of the entire system, would it help if i uploaded it? not too sure if i am allowed to do so or not too.

7. Feb 20, 2016 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, a clamp on type amp meter can measure current without breaking the circuit. Just make sure that it is clamped on only one of the two conductors to the wall plug.

A circuit diagram will probably not help.

If it is plugged in and working now, what is the fuse/circuit breaker rating of the circuit it is plugged in to?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook