Which Engineering Major is Right for Me?

In summary, the conversation discusses selecting a major for a high school senior interested in engineering, particularly in the field of nuclear fusion. The potential career that excites him the most is being a part of making nuclear fusion a viable energy source. The conversation mentions that nuclear engineering is a major at some places and that materials engineering, plasma physics, and nuclear engineering would be good subjects to study. Additionally, computer science is also mentioned as important for fusion research. The European Fusion Education network and its newsletter are recommended as resources for finding ways into fusion research.
Quinn Gavin
I am a Senior in High School and I would like guidance in selecting a major. I've been most seriously considering Aeronautical, Mechanical, Chemical, and Materials engineering. Maybe Engineering Physics, I don't know too much about it though. Is nuclear engineering a major some places?

What potential career excites me the most is being a part of making nuclear fusion a viable energy source. I'm not so much interested in doing research at a school, I want to be an engineer.

What major(s) would be best?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nuclear engineering is absolutely a major at some places.

However, the major challenge in making nuclear fusion viable is in plasma confinement. So plasma physics is where it's at in terms of making fusion viable.

As to what engineering job is best, I can see materials engineering, process, chemical engineering, electrical engineering all being employable.

Looking at the ITER jobs page, http://www.iter.org/jobs , they're looking for a Fuel Cycle System Engineer, a Tritium Plant System Engineer, a Vacuum System Engineer, and a Tritium Confinement System Engineer. They want "Nuclear, Chemical Engineering or other relevant", "Process or Electronic Engineering field or other ", "Nuclear or Chemical Eng. or other discipline", "Chemical or Nuclear Engineering" and "Nuclear Engineering, Chemical Eng. or other" as degrees, respectively.

So if those kinds of jobs appeal, those are the kinds of majors you need. I suggest looking for jobs that interest you, then figuring out what you need to do from there.

Quinn Gavin said:
I am a Senior in High School and I would like guidance in selecting a major. I've been most seriously considering Aeronautical, Mechanical, Chemical, and Materials engineering. Maybe Engineering Physics, I don't know too much about it though. Is nuclear engineering a major some places?

What potential career excites me the most is being a part of making nuclear fusion a viable energy source. I'm not so much interested in doing research at a school, I want to be an engineer.

What major(s) would be best?
Materials engineering, plasma physics or nuclear engineering would be a good subject. Computer sciences, too since a lot of fusion research involves large computer simulations. Check out the European Fusion Education network http://www.fusenet.eu/ . The newsletter of the European fusion research consortium has a section describing how young scientists have found their way into fusion: https://www.euro-fusion.org/newsletter/young-faces-of-fusion-guido-lange/ https://www.euro-fusion.org/newsletter/young-faces-of-fusion-andrew-thornton/ and others.

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design and development of mechanical systems, such as engines and machines, while electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. Which engineering major has the highest job demand?

According to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, the engineering fields with the highest projected job growth from 2019-2029 are biomedical engineering, environmental engineering, and civil engineering.

3. Can I switch engineering majors after starting college?

It is possible to switch engineering majors after starting college, but it may require taking additional courses and extending the time to graduate. It is important to research and speak with an academic advisor before making a decision.

4. What skills are important for a successful engineering career?

Some essential skills for a successful engineering career include problem-solving, critical thinking, teamwork, communication, and technical knowledge. Continuous learning and adaptability are also crucial in this constantly evolving field.

5. Is it better to choose a specialized or general engineering major?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. Specialized engineering majors may lead to more focused job opportunities, while general engineering majors provide a broad knowledge base and flexibility in career paths. Consider researching and speaking with professionals in your desired field to make an informed decision.