What Math and Sciences Should I Take After Alg II and Chem AP in High School?

• Thread starter Alex48674
  • Start date
In summary, a freshman in high school is planning their course schedule for the next 3 years. They have concerns about not having enough math or science courses in their senior year and consider taking physics earlier. They also wonder about taking other courses such as computer science and dual enrollment. They are advised to consider taking it easy in their senior year and possibly self-studying a subject like calculus. They are also encouraged to take foreign language courses and consider studying abroad.
Alex48674
Right now I'm a freshman in high school, and we were just given the boxes to fill out for the courses for next year, so I made a list off all the courses they had I would want to take, and then filled it out over the next 3 years, and I came into a few problems.

I'm in AlgII this year, so I will finish calculus junior year, so then I have no math senior year. I don't think my school has any courses after this, but maybe independent studies. What math should I take after this if I can choose any, and I suppose I will see about independent studies.

I could take physics next year and then AP physics junior year, so senior year I would have no science classes (already would have done Chem AP and Bio AP, Psy AP, Anatomy), so what sort of classes would be next on the list if I were to take one (or 5 =]).

Repeat the problem with History and economics.

Although I could push up the physics up a year, if I didn't could I take something?

My schedual

Freshman
Eng I
Alg II
Bio I
PE I
World Geo
Chem I
Span II

Sophmore
Eng II
Adv. Maths
Civics ------------------------------------ Free Enterprise AP
Chem AP
PE II --------------------------------------- American Gov AP
anatomy and Physiology
World History

Junior
Eng III
Cal AB ------------------------ Calc BC
Bio II AP
American History AP
Physics
European History AP
Psy APSenior
Eng IV
Physics AP
Health I --------------------- BlankSo I could bump physics down a year and history up, but I want to know if I can take the sciences and maths and histories even further. I don't particularly want to take a year of 5 courses of basket weaving, although a few look interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look into dual enrollment at a local college. I did that for calc III and differential equations my senior year and it was totally free (except for the 40 minute drives through rush hour in a heavily populated area!) Unless you're pretty sure of your math abilities, consider keeping Calc AB. Only 2 people out of 8 or so actually stuck with calc BC after not taking AB at my high school.

Last edited:
jhicks said:
Look into dual enrollment at a local college. I did that for calc III and differential equations my senior year and it was totally free (except for the 40 minute drives through rush hour in a heavily populated area!) Unless you're pretty sure of your math abilities, consider keeping Calc AB. Only 2 people out of 8 or so actually stuck with calc BC after not taking AB at my high school.

Ok, I'll look into that, I don't quite have to worry about it yet, just more wondering what I could do. I'm pretty sure I would stick with it though, because other wise a lot of maths and science is incomprehensible to you.

does your school offer any computer science courses those are beneficial especially if they are programing based. Learning to program is a great skill. If they teach you Java you can consider taking the AP Computer test they offer an A and AB the latter being harder.
Also if you finish Calc I jr year then Senior year you could consider sitting the AP Physics C Mechanics exam. (Note you do not have to enroll in an AP class to take the exam. If you are confident in you math skills and have taken reg. Physics and are in AP Physics then you may be well off for the Mechanics C exam. However this is a lot to study for. Though AP Physics B will overlap with Mechanics C partially, it will be a heavy load to study for.
You can try for dual enrollment though not all school's offer that option.

It looks like you will be well to do with what you have already. You may consider taking it easy Senior year, maybe getting a job or just taking time to read or do self study in topics. You could get a good Calc book like Spivak, Courant, or Apostol and try and work through it.
Assuming you do well on your exams and get some credit for it, it looks like you will have credit for Chemistry, Biology, Government, Economics (is that Free Enterprise?), History, and Calculus.
This gives you a lot of options as far as electives in college as many of your general courses or humanities will be taken care of.
This will allow you to take more of what you want, or for instance pick up a double major with ease, or better yet STUDY ABROAD. I'd recommend taking foreign language or even 2 or 3. That is a great skill to have and I notice it is missing from your high school curriculum

1. What are the recommended math and science courses to take after completing Algebra II and Chemistry AP in high school?

After completing Algebra II and Chemistry AP, it is recommended to take pre-calculus or trigonometry as a math course, and physics or biology as a science course. These courses will provide a strong foundation for higher level math and science courses in college.

2. Are there any other math and science courses that I should consider taking?

Yes, it is also beneficial to take courses in statistics, computer science, and environmental science. These courses can provide valuable skills and knowledge for various fields of study.

3. Is it necessary to take all of these courses?

It is not necessary to take all of these courses, but it is recommended to take at least one math and one science course each year in high school. This will demonstrate a strong academic background to colleges and universities.

4. Can I take advanced or honors courses in math and science after completing Algebra II and Chemistry AP?

Yes, if you are interested and feel prepared, you can take advanced or honors courses in math and science. These courses can offer a more rigorous curriculum and can help prepare you for college-level courses in these subjects.

5. How will these courses help me in the future?

Taking math and science courses after completing Algebra II and Chemistry AP can help you develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong foundation in these subjects. These skills are essential in many careers, and these courses can also prepare you for higher education in STEM fields.