What skills should someone aspiring with for a PhD in Physics acquire?

  • Topic: Physics 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MetalManuel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Phd Physics Skills
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
MetalManuel
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Right now I'm a sophomore majoring in physics and I honestly don't have very many skills. I am great with computer/electronics repair and networking(as a hobby), but that's about it. I kind of wish I learned some of these skills earlier, so that they would be even better by now. Which is what I am trying to do at this moment.

I don't know what I want to do with Physics, but I know I like it. I want to contribute something to society in one way or another, but in order to do that while making a living I need to be employable.

So I was wondering what kind of skills do people who hire Physics PhDs look for? The only thing I can think of is MATLAB, which I don't know anything about, but I see everywhere. Are any computer languages good to master? C++ is a requirement for me, so I was wondering if that would be a good language to get really good at.

I basically want to start acquiring skills now, so that when I am done with school, I will have a large variety of skills.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you do physics as undergrad then do applied math/computer science for grad school then it will be easy to get employed by a company that develops software (engineering software, FEA, game engines, etc)
 
1) Learn to program.
2) Take humanities classes seriously. Learn history, literature, philosophy, etc.
3) Stay curious and ask deep questions