What is the Best Social Science for Scientific Advancement and Practicality?

• Thread starter stjimmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the best social science from the perspectives of challenge, being cutting edge, prospects, level of science and rigor, and respect. The participants mention economics, operations research and management science, neuroeconomics, psychology, and anthropology as potential options.
stjimmy
Hi
what social science do you think is best from the perspective of challenge,
being cutting edge,prospects,level of science an rigor and respect
my own opioion is economics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey what about this?

Come on guys don't be shy and remember that the social sciences have imporant implacations and are imporant for so called hard sciences and esp imho for engineers
Ps i might make a poll too

My vote is for operations research and management science, but I'm biased. ;)

Last edited:
stjimmy said:
Hi
what social science do you think is best from the perspective of challenge,
being cutting edge,prospects,level of science an rigor and respect
my own opioion is economics.

Good question... by the espacts you have mentioned: psych or economics seem like the best. They also seem very useful/practical, not to say that the others are not. The best just because I say so would have to be anthropology :biggrin:

1. What is the difference between social science and natural science?

Social science is the study of human society and social relationships, while natural science is the study of the physical world and natural phenomena. Social science focuses on understanding human behavior, culture, and social structures, while natural science focuses on understanding the physical laws and processes that govern the natural world.

2. Which social science field is the most popular?

The most popular social science field can vary depending on different factors such as geographical location, current events, and individual interests. However, some commonly popular social science fields include psychology, sociology, anthropology, economics, and political science.

3. Is one social science field more important than others?

All social science fields are important as they each contribute to a better understanding of human behavior and society. Each field has its own unique perspective and methodology, and they often intersect and complement each other in their research and findings.

4. What social science field should I study for a career in the social sciences?

This ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are interested in understanding individual behavior and mental processes, psychology may be a good fit. If you are interested in studying how societies and cultures function, sociology and anthropology may be more suitable. If you are interested in studying economic systems and policies, economics may be the best choice. It is important to research and explore different fields to find the one that aligns with your interests and goals.

5. Can social science be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, social science research can be applied to real-world issues and problems. Social scientists use rigorous research methods to study and analyze human behavior, societal issues, and policy-making, which can inform and guide solutions to real-world problems. For example, sociological research on poverty and inequality can inform policies and interventions aimed at reducing these issues in society.