What sparked my lifelong passion for electronics and engineering?

• Thread starter DonnH
  • Start date
In summary, my lifelong passion for electronics and engineering was sparked by a childhood fascination with taking things apart and putting them back together, as well as the opportunity to work on projects with my father and older brother. As I grew older, my curiosity and love for problem-solving only grew stronger, leading me to pursue a career in the fields of electronics and engineering. Through various experiences and challenges, my passion has only continued to grow and has become an integral part of who I am today.
DonnH
How did you find PF?
My number 3 daughter gave me the link.
I started out at a very young age wanting to be an archeologist digging up dinosaurs, then a fireman, then a space cadet, then a chemical engineer, then a radio tech. One step at a time. You may note the preceding is a long list of technical research starting at around 5.

Oh, forgot to mention my many years teaching courses in amateur radio to others. I mention that because I found the students really interesting and so very greatful for the help I was able to share with them. Not at all like teaching English or Social Studies forcing them to do/learn things they may have little use for in later life.

I got a business license at 14 years old so that I could buy electronic parts wholesale. That was after studying the National Correspondence School's course in radio and television. Wow, a long time back. I think that was around 1959. The parts delivery service guy would knock on my parents door and I would answer it. The guy would look down at me and ask for the fella who ran the electronics shop and I would tell him that was me and he would look a little embarrassed or unbelieving.

It wasn't that I was a genius it was just that I was totally focused on learning everything I could about all aspects of electronics. My other grades (social studies and English) did not do so well. Anyway I worked for 35 years for the local phone company and it was interesting, sometimes downright exciting flying into radio sites by helicopter or snow cat or getting stuck in the spring when the frost was coming out of the roads. Yuck! Bad when you have to steam clean the inside and the outside of your truck.

Oh, my wife and I also spent 3 years up the Pacific coast maintaining remote radio repeater sites. Yup, just the two of us and our two dogs and local wild animals and wild birds to keep us entertained. There you have it. Most of it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Great intro. Welcome to the forum.