What speeds could a maglev train reach in a vaccum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a maglev train traveling at incredibly high speeds in a frictionless and weightless environment. The conditions needed for this to happen are a perfectly straight and infinitely long maglev rail, infinite time and distance to accelerate in, and superconducting rails. The potential speed could be as fast as 0.6-0.8 times the speed of light. However, there are many qualifiers and unknown factors that could affect the train's speed. Overall, it is a fun thought experiment to consider the potential of a near-perfect mode of transportation.
Rebekah Barker
What would happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts? What do you think would happen and why?

I think you mean more than a vacuum.

If you had maglev in a frictionless environment (vacuum),
and weightless (no gravity to overcome),
and a perfectly straight and infinitely long maglev rail,
and infinite time and distance to accelerate in,
and superconducting rails so that the electric driving wave does not decay,
then the maglev vehicle could travel as fast as the EM electric wave travels in the rail. Something on the order of 0..6-0.8 times light speed.

Even with that long list, there are probably even more qualifiers that I didn't think of.

Likes Rebekah Barker
Although I do not know how to calculate that right off the bat, I am curious about this question too. I am seeing a near frictionless environment when the train is in the vacuum. Can a vacuum in a finite space be thought of as a vector field which might influence the trains speed. Could there be a "negative vacuum" that could slow it down on demand?

Likes Rebekah Barker
Drakkith said:
Drakkith said:
Well the top speed a maglev train has reached is around 600km/h so as there is near to no friction I think it could reach speeds of thousands of km/h. It would be extremely efficient but i don't think anything can 100% efficient. It would be able to reach extremely high speeds but I'm not sure what the limit would be. Yet it wouldn't be very convenient for a mode of transport haha.

I come up with ≈15,700 mph, which is ≈25,200 km/hr.

Many assumptions, of course.

Fun thought experiment! :smile:

1. What is a maglev train and how does it work?

A maglev train, short for magnetic levitation train, is a type of train that uses magnetic forces to propel and levitate the train above its tracks. It works by using powerful electromagnets on the train and the tracks to create a repelling force, causing the train to levitate and move forward without any physical contact with the tracks.

2. Can a maglev train reach faster speeds in a vacuum compared to regular trains?

Yes, since a maglev train does not rely on friction or air resistance to move, it can reach much higher speeds in a vacuum compared to regular trains. In fact, maglev trains have been tested to reach speeds of over 375 mph, while the current record for conventional trains is around 357 mph.

3. How does the lack of air resistance in a vacuum affect the speed of a maglev train?

Air resistance is a major factor that limits the speed of traditional trains, as they have to push through the air as they move. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, allowing the maglev train to reach much higher speeds without any resistance holding it back.

4. Are there any limitations to the speed a maglev train can reach in a vacuum?

While a maglev train can potentially reach incredibly high speeds in a vacuum, there are still limitations to consider. The train's design, track conditions, and environmental factors all play a role in determining the maximum speed it can achieve. Additionally, the amount of energy required to maintain the vacuum environment can also limit the train's speed.

5. What are the practical applications of a maglev train in a vacuum?

A maglev train in a vacuum could potentially be used for high-speed transportation, such as intercity or intercontinental travel, as it would significantly reduce travel time. It could also be used for transporting goods or materials at high speeds, making supply chains more efficient. However, the cost and infrastructure requirements for creating and maintaining a vacuum environment may limit the practical applications of this technology.