What spring constant would I need to jump my height

In summary, the individual is trying to determine the necessary spring constant for a pair of springs in order to jump their own height. They are given their height and weight and plan to use equations for energy and a compressed spring to find the constant. However, factors such as the starting position and desired height of the jump must also be taken into account.
Physer
In my springs what would the spring constant need to be If I am 1.8m tall and I weigh 68 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
Physer said:
In my springs what would the spring constant need to be If I am 1.8m tall and I weigh 68 kg
Welcome to the PF.

You probably need to be a lot more clear on what you are asking before we can provide much help. What exactly are you asking? Can you upload a diagram of what the setup would look like? Are you wanting to bounce on a spring from some height or something? :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

You probably need to be a lot more clear on what you are asking before we can provide much help. What exactly are you asking? Can you upload a diagram of what the setup would look like? Are you wanting to bounce on a spring from some height or something? :smile:
Thank you.
Lets say I have shoes that have springs on them. My goal is to find the spring constant on my springs to jump my height. The only thing given is my weight and my height to achieve the jump

Physer said:
Thank you.
Lets say I have shoes that have springs on them. My goal is to find the spring constant on my springs to jump my height. The only thing given is my weight and my height to achieve the jump
Having springs on your shoes won't help you unless you pump up some jumps, or drop from some height. How do you envision making this jump?

Also, is this for a schoolwork assignment?

berkeman said:
Having springs on your shoes won't help you unless you pump up some jumps, or drop from some height. How do you envision making this jump?

Also, is this for a schoolwork assignment?
Yeah, its a hypothetical question. Dont know how I would approach this

Physer said:
Yeah, its a hypothetical question. Dont know how I would approach this
Basically I would jump Like I would on a trampoline but with shoes

Physer said:
Basically I would jump Like I would on a trampoline but with shoes
So you would basically be pumping them up with several jumps in a row. If you have a look at this wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_(device) you will get a lot of info about springs.

One quick way to start calculating it would be to equate the energy in the fully-compressed spring to the energy it takes to lift you to the height you want. To raise your center of mass by a height h, it takes the energy E = m*g*h, where m is the mass in kg, g=9.8m/s^2, and h is the height in meters.

The energy in a compressed spring is E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance that the spring is compressed.

Can you work with those equations to start to figure out what spring characteristics you need (spring constant k, uncompressed length, compressed length)? :smile:

berkeman said:
So you would basically be pumping them up with several jumps in a row. If you have a look at this wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_(device) you will get a lot of info about springs.

One quick way to start calculating it would be to equate the energy in the fully-compressed spring to the energy it takes to lift you to the height you want. To raise your center of mass by a height h, it takes the energy E = m*g*h, where m is the mass in kg, g=9.8m/s^2, and h is the height in meters.

The energy in a compressed spring is E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance that the spring is compressed.

Can you work with those equations to start to figure out what spring characteristics you need (spring constant k, uncompressed length, compressed length)? :smile:
So Looking at the equations given, I think I would Find E, find a distance for the spring to be compressed, then plug it in the compressed spring equation and isolate K to find the constant?

Physer said:
So Looking at the equations given, I think I would Find E, find a distance for the spring to be compressed, then plug it in the compressed spring equation and isolate K to find the constant?
Something like that. It may take some iterating to get close to the real spring parameters. You can start with what might be a reasonable compression distance (maybe half a meter?), and the fact that there are two springs (I assume) and one of you...

Since i plug in E= mgh to E =1/2kx^2. How would i know i Jumped my height

Physer said:
Since i plug in E= mgh to E =1/2kx^2. How would i know i Jumped my height
I'm not sure I understand your question. It's a conservation of energy type of situation. If you are standing on a compressed pair of springs and their combined energy is the same as is required to raise you to the height h, that's what they will do...

BTW, you need to include some other factors. Like, if you want the springs to be able to bounce you to a height h above where you are when you are not bouncing, that's a bit different from the case where they raise you to a height h above where you are when you are at the fully-compressed bottom of your bounce... It would help you to start making some sketches showing positions of yourself and the springs at different parts of your bouncing...

Physer said:
berkeman said:
I'm not sure I understand your question. It's a conservation of energy type of situation. If you are standing on a compressed pair of springs and their combined energy is the same as is required to raise you to the height h, that's what they will do...

BTW, you need to include some other factors. Like, if you want the springs to be able to bounce you to a height h above where you are when you are not bouncing, that's a bit different from the case where they raise you to a height h above where you are when you are at the fully-compressed bottom of your bounce... It would help you to start making some sketches showing positions of yourself and the springs at different parts of your bouncing...

How i wanted it to be

Attachments

• 1457563092405-1027776672.jpg
    1457563092405-1027776672.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 625
Last edited by a moderator:
Physer said:
How i wanted it to be
A quick sketch

For the E=mgh question what would I do with E?

Physer said:
For the E=mgh question what would I do with E?

If you plug mgh in for E in the spring equation, you don't do anything with it. It just goes away. Is that what you were asking?

berkeman said:

:wideeyed: Other factors? What happens when this man loses his balance and falls? I can see him having having a blast bouncing all around -getting really, seriously into it- and then suddenly, flinging himself in all sorts of directions on accident- what are the consequences for his skull starting 12 feet in the air heading for hard pavement, you have the numbers? I don't think this is a real great plan...

Physer, if you are really going to do this, please wear a helmet and practice before jumping right into it. It sounds like fun for sure, but it could be dangerous... Working on your motor skills may help a heap!

Fervent Freyja said:
Physer, if you are really going to do this, please wear a helmet and practice before jumping right into it. It sounds like fun for sure, but it could be dangerous...

Words of wisdom right there. :biggrin:

Likes Fervent Freyja
Try with a Pogo stick first to practice and get good at jumping on a spring.
th?id=OIP.M4a4e89d76781aaf47464864c818d8ee8o0&w=103&h=105&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2.jpg

Likes Fervent Freyja
Fervent Freyja said:
What happens when this man loses his balance and falls? I can see him having having a blast bouncing all around -getting really, seriously into it- and then suddenly, flinging himself in all sorts of directions on accident- what are the consequences for his skull starting 12 feet in the air heading for hard pavement
I think, make sure there is a video for You Tube.
Watch it go viral.
People just love seeing the crazy antics of others and feeling their pain.:)):H?:):woot:

Likes Fervent Freyja
Physer said:
How i wanted it to be
This is too unstable to bring you very high. You need something like this:

10-Foot-High-Jumping-Stilts-01.jpg

Likes Fervent Freyja, billy_joule and 256bits
Drakkith said:
Words of wisdom right there. :biggrin:

Could that be an apology? :smile: Kidding...

Related to What spring constant would I need to jump my height

1. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant is a measure of a spring's stiffness or rigidity. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain length.

2. How does spring constant relate to jumping height?

The spring constant determines the amount of force a spring can exert, which directly affects the height of a jump. The higher the spring constant, the more forceful the spring's push, resulting in a higher jump.

3. Can you calculate my required spring constant based on my height?

The required spring constant for jumping cannot be calculated solely based on height. Other factors such as body weight, muscle strength, and skill level also play a significant role in determining the ideal spring constant for jumping.

4. Is there a specific spring constant that is best for jumping?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as the ideal spring constant for jumping will vary from person to person. It is best to consult a trained professional or conduct experiments to determine the best spring constant for your specific needs.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a spring to jump?

Using a spring to jump can be dangerous if not done properly. It is crucial to use a spring that is appropriate for your weight and skill level and to follow proper safety precautions. Consult a professional or seek proper training before attempting to jump with a spring.