What Subfield of Physics has the *most* QM involved in it?

In summary: Nuclear physics is all about the nucleus and the forces that act on it. The nuclear forces are what hold the atoms together. There are three main forces: the strong force, the weak force, and the electromagnetic force. The strong force is the most powerful and is what holds the nucleus together. The weak force is what breaks the nucleus apart and the electromagnetic force is what holds the atoms together.
ChrisisC
i'm assuming is particle physics... but could it be anything else? I am curious to know because i am trying to lay out a path for my educational career and i definitely know physics is my path. However, i don't know exactly was field of physics i want to specialize in. I think QM is the most fascinating scientific topic and i want my entire career to incorporate it as much as possible. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisisC said:
i'm assuming is particle physics... but could it be anything else? I am curious to know because i am trying to lay out a path for my educational career and i definitely know physics is my path. However, i don't know exactly was field of physics i want to specialize in. I think QM is the most fascinating scientific topic and i want my entire career to incorporate it as much as possible. thanks!

Foundations of QM (still an open topic even after 90 years) has the most QM in it. (!) This is not a suggestion for choosing a path for your university and post university education.

Likes Demystifier
Quantum condensed matter would be up there.

I always felt that atomic and molecular physics was the purest QM in that you know all the potentials to great accuracy and are applying straight QM. QM in cases where the potentials are not really known never made sense to me.

Particle physics is all QFT, quantum field theory, the relativistic version of QM. Very different.

Back up, have you even taken QM yet? Are you an undergrad? High school student? Graduate student? Precocious hermit?

TomServo said:
Particle physics is all QFT, quantum field theory, the relativistic version of QM. Very different.

QFT is not necessarily the relativistic version of QM. You can have non-relativistic quantum field theories. It's an extension of quantum mechanics to infinite degrees of freedom. Here's something to see some connections between QFT, classical field theory, and relativity:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/quantum-field-theory/

To the OP: in modern physics, most fields of research will incorporate quantum mechanics. Just as Crass Oscillator asked, what is your educational background?

Mmm_Pasta said:
QFT is not necessarily the relativistic version of QM. You can have non-relativistic quantum field theories. It's an extension of quantum mechanics to infinite degrees of freedom. Here's something to see some connections between QFT, classical field theory, and relativity:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/quantum-field-theory/

To the OP: in modern physics, most fields of research will incorporate quantum mechanics. Just as Crass Oscillator asked, what is your educational background?

Yes, but in practice isn't QFT used relativistically? I'm just describing it as I've heard other, much more knowledgeable people describe QFT. I took a class in it and still don't understand any of it, clearly.

In condensed matter and nuclear physics, you can have field theories that are quantized but non-relativistic, I think, although I am not an expert.

Condensed matter attempts to describe many body systems in terms of their "emergent" properties. That's what fermi liquid theory is. You take an interacting system of electrons (with some assumptions) and describe it in terms of quasiparticles which behave somewhat like free electrons except they have a renormalized mass and charge and a finite lifetime.

These systems are in general nonrelativistic and space and time can scale differently (the different scaling is reflected in the dynamical critical exponent z which is 1 for Lorentz invariance, 2 for Galilean invariance). Sometimes even different spatial directions can scale differently. You can have emergent Lorentz symmetry which happens a lot at quantum critical points.

1. What is the subfield of physics with the most Quantum Mechanics involved in it?

The subfield of physics with the most Quantum Mechanics involved in it is Quantum Physics, also known as Quantum Mechanics. This field studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, using the principles of Quantum Mechanics to understand and explain phenomena such as superposition, entanglement, and quantum tunneling.

2. How does Quantum Mechanics play a role in Astrophysics?

Quantum Mechanics plays a crucial role in Astrophysics, particularly in understanding the behavior of particles in extreme environments such as black holes and the early universe. It also helps explain the properties of stars and the formation of galaxies. Some areas of astrophysics, such as quantum cosmology, focus specifically on the intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics.

3. Is Quantum Mechanics involved in the study of materials and their properties?

Yes, Quantum Mechanics is essential in the study of materials and their properties. This subfield, known as Quantum Materials, explores how the behavior of particles at the quantum level affects the macroscopic properties of materials. It is crucial in fields such as nanotechnology and materials science.

4. How does Quantum Mechanics impact the field of Quantum Computing?

Quantum Mechanics is the foundation of Quantum Computing, a rapidly growing field that uses the principles of Quantum Mechanics to process and store information. It utilizes the unique properties of quantum particles, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform calculations and solve problems that are impossible for classical computers.

5. In what ways does Quantum Mechanics influence the field of Biophysics?

Quantum Mechanics plays a role in Biophysics, which studies the application of physical principles to biological systems. It is particularly important in understanding the behavior of biomolecules and their interactions, such as in photosynthesis and DNA replication. Additionally, quantum mechanics is also used in imaging techniques such as MRI, which is vital in the medical field.