What subjects for ice modelling

In summary, the conversation discusses specializing in modelling ice thawing and freezing processes, which is also known as the Stefan problem. The fields involved include physics, engineering, and climate science, with topics such as heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. The process involves using partial differential equations and variables for time, position, velocity, temperature, and density. The conversation also mentions the option of taking specific courses on Svaldbard to further study these topics.
Gullik
Hi.

I will soon wrap up my physics bachelor and have lately been considering specializing in modelling of ice thawing and freezing processes.

What types of math and physics are involved in those kind of processes and what subjects should I make sure I know. What classes would be useful to have.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is called the Stefan problem. Physics has basically given such subjects to engineering (small scale) and climate science (large scale). That would involve heat transfer, fluid mechanics, boundary layers, multi-phase systems, thermodynamics and phase change. Depending on the application one would model the system with partial differential equations (probably using numerical methods, but possibly also some other methods) with variables for time, position, velocity, temperature, and density. Phase equations determine from temperature and pressure what phases are present in what ratio. Often as a simplification it is assumed that a block of ice melts from the outside only.

Likes 1 person
I thought about delaying starting on a masters for half a year and take these 2 subjects on Svaldbard; http://www.unis.no/studies/Arctic_Geophysics/agf_211.htm and http://www.unis.no/studies/Arctic_Geophysics/agf_212.htm.

These two subjects seems to cover exactly what I want to do.

1. What exactly is ice modelling?

Ice modelling is a scientific process in which mathematical and computer models are used to simulate the behavior and characteristics of ice, such as its formation, melting, and movement.

2. What subjects are involved in ice modelling?

Ice modelling involves a combination of various subjects, including physics, chemistry, mathematics, and computer science. It also draws on knowledge from fields such as glaciology, oceanography, and atmospheric science.

3. What are some common applications of ice modelling?

Ice modelling has a wide range of applications, including predicting sea level rise, understanding the effects of climate change on polar ice sheets, and forecasting the formation and movement of sea ice for shipping and navigation purposes.

4. How is ice modelling different from other types of modelling?

Ice modelling is unique in that it focuses specifically on the behavior of ice and its interaction with the environment. Other types of modelling, such as climate modelling, may incorporate ice as one component, but do not solely focus on it.

5. What are some challenges in ice modelling?

One of the main challenges in ice modelling is accurately capturing the complex physical processes involved in ice behavior, such as the formation of ice crystals and the effects of ocean currents. Additionally, obtaining accurate input data for the models can be difficult, as ice behavior can vary greatly depending on location and environmental conditions.