What were the hardest subjects in maths when you started physics as a bachelor student?

• Thread starter Maclaurinssadism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    maths
Maclaurinssadism
I'm a recent bachelor student into physics and I am really struggling with these type of maths. Especially infinite series and its tests, the Integral Test and etc. If it was easy for you, what type of books did you use or methods?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of undergraduate math subjects have a small set of tricks. If you learn 3, you get a C, learn 5 and you get a B, learn 7 and you get an A. You must survive that, but often those tricks do not give you great insight. Keep your eyes open for the exceptions: power series and complex numbers, linear equations, fourier series, etc. Those are the subjects that you really want to take to heart. The subject of differential equations has a dozen tricks, but the basics are really fundamental. You can tell that if there is an entire math class on a subject, then you will see a bit of it in the early classes that you should pay special attention to.
For practice in solving problems, I always recommend the Schaum's Outline series.

Likes dsaun777 and DeBangis21
The one trick among many that i still recall was integrating y first before x in a double integral.

The prof mentioned it in passing and then on the surprise quiz he had such an integral impossible to integrate starting with x first but a piece of cake when starting with y.

Another was from Linear Algebra, in adding and subtracting rows in a matrix to get a 1 value in a column over dividing the selected row by the inverse of the column number.

More recently, I learned that Euler's formula could be used to derive the sin/cos relationships for adding and subtracting angles.

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21

1. What are the most difficult concepts in math that are important for understanding physics?

The most difficult concepts in math for understanding physics as a bachelor student are calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and vector calculus. These concepts are essential for understanding the laws of motion, energy, and forces in physics.

2. How does math play a role in physics as a bachelor student?

Math is a crucial tool for understanding and solving problems in physics. It helps to describe and quantify physical phenomena, and allows for the prediction and analysis of complex systems in the natural world.

3. Are there any specific math topics that are particularly challenging for physics students?

Some of the most challenging math topics for physics students include multi-variable calculus, partial differential equations, and advanced topics in linear algebra such as tensor analysis. These topics require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and their application to physical problems.

4. How can I prepare for the math requirements in physics as a bachelor student?

To prepare for the math requirements in physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as familiarize yourself with calculus and linear algebra concepts.

5. Are there any resources available to help with the math requirements in physics as a bachelor student?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with the math requirements in physics. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your university may also have tutoring services or math centers that can provide additional support and guidance.