1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What subjects should I take up in college?

1. Jun 29, 2013 #1
    I am about to finish high school.I want a profession involving research and development of new technologies and devices.Preferably for medicinal and bio-engineering use.I want to know what course should I take in college.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The ones that lead to postgraduate programs in the fields you want to study - which depends on the college, so nobody can be more than general. Best practice is to get into a college and seek advise from the people there. The freshman year tends to be pretty general anyway so I wouldn't worry about nuances.

You don't want to be a doctor, so entering medical school is probably the wrong start ... you will probably be leaning towards biology.

Other core subjects:
    You'll need math and either chemistry or physics depending on what sort of technology you are interested in developing. Some colleges have actual courses in biotechnology - check.

i.e. You should check the engineering and medical schools anyway in case they have courses that sound like you. Academic research is done at post-grad level so you should check those programs when deciding on a college to attend ... look for opportunities to enter a field rather than specific programs since these will change while you are an undergrad. You may also be able to find biotech companies who offer scholarships and internships etc.

I wouldn't worry much about it though ... you'll quickly figure which freshman programs are right for you and your goals will change during your studies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook