What subjects should I take up in college?

• Schools
  • Thread starter ajitesh50
  • Start date
I am about to finish high school.I want a profession involving research and development of new technologies and devices.Preferably for medicinal and bio-engineering use.I want to know what course should I take in college.

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The ones that lead to postgraduate programs in the fields you want to study - which depends on the college, so nobody can be more than general. Best practice is to get into a college and seek advise from the people there. The freshman year tends to be pretty general anyway so I wouldn't worry about nuances.

You don't want to be a doctor, so entering medical school is probably the wrong start ... you will probably be leaning towards biology.

Other core subjects:
You'll need math and either chemistry or physics depending on what sort of technology you are interested in developing. Some colleges have actual courses in biotechnology - check.

i.e. You should check the engineering and medical schools anyway in case they have courses that sound like you. Academic research is done at post-grad level so you should check those programs when deciding on a college to attend ... look for opportunities to enter a field rather than specific programs since these will change while you are an undergrad. You may also be able to find biotech companies who offer scholarships and internships etc.

I wouldn't worry much about it though ... you'll quickly figure which freshman programs are right for you and your goals will change during your studies.