What technologies are we not yet ready for?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary: Technology which is not inherently dangerous can be perverted if it falls into the wrong hands. However, I believe technology can become dangerous even in the hands of people with good intentions. Cloning and nano-technology could certainly go awry.
Loren Booda
What existing technologies are the general public not yet ready for?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hmm... I would say an H-bomb.

..especially of the easy-to-make basement lab type. But probably any type qualifies.

I think Cloning Technology :(

Humans can be a bit irrational at times so I guess even a stick could be potentialy leathal. I guess humans aren't ready for sticks

Touche!

Originally posted by DarkAnt
Humans can be a bit irrational at times so I guess even a stick could be potentialy leathal. I guess humans aren't ready for sticks

Does this mean I have to get rid of my baseball bat with a nail driven through the end?

Seriously, that raises a good point. Technology which is not inherently dangerous can be perverted if it falls into the wrong hands. However, I believe technology can become dangerous even in the hands of people with good intentions. Cloning and nano-technology could certainly go awry.

Last edited:
Actually! Technologies that don't match with our culture, we aren't ready for that, Right?

Suppose, we are not ready for Human Flesh Chopper machine or not ready for Making human babies in Electric Incubator instead of Female wore! Right ?

Antibiotics, anti-retrovirals, designer drugs, fission reactors (except the Chinese public?), GM crops (European public), guns, ... it's a pretty long list.

Lets cut to the chase:

Man isn't ready for thought.

That certainly solves everything. If man can't think, then he can't cause any (man-made) problems. I stress man-made because they really are just that.

I believe that humans aren't ready for hybrid cars yet. Most of Americans look towards handling and comfort when buying a car, and gas efficiency means close to nothing. If you want towing power, speed that usually doesn't mean hybrid. Though Toyota and Ford are producing hybrid SUVs this year.

The iTunes Music Store beat out the Toyota Prius as the invention of the year (TIMES Magazine). A simplistic online music store, beat out a vehicle that can change the future of transportation as well as environment. Shows how much people care about the latter.

Businesses aren't ready for it either. If more people started buying hybrids, more and more gas stations disappear. That is why the Government is buying time for businesses to prepare.

I know the environment is in need of it though, and I'm ready for it.

Another technology most users aren't ready for are 64-bit PCs. Aside from the G5, there aren't any existing OS for the common user that is made for 64-bit computing, unless you count Linux as one.

In about 2 years, Windows will have a 64-bit version come out.

I think Cloning Technology :(

I don't know about you, but I'm way ready for that, and so is the medical system.

The idea of cloning new organs for the ill (in theory). We need that ready as soon as possible.

Aside from religious people, I think humans want to see this happen.

Originally posted by kenikov
I don't know about you, but I'm way ready for that, and so is the medical system.

The idea of cloning new organs for the ill (in theory). We need that ready as soon as possible.

Aside from religious people, I think humans want to see this happen.

Hmm...I am from Bangladesh! No there is no wind of Cloning is blowing there! I am talking about it as this is forbidden in US! What was the reason for that?

Actually! Human can very quickly adapt with new technology!
Besides! I patially agree with dduardo! And I also think as we are human, technologist are also so, and that is why they are making what they are thinking will fit in the Current World! Isn't it ?

Hmm... If we don't care about the consequences, we're ready for everything... And as things appear right now, most of the world do not care... That's why cloning and genonmodified food is entering the market, although no one knows about the longterm effects. That is why fission and coal/oil/gas is still used, and funding for alternative energy is too low.
The will to regard men over money is simply too small to allow these prosperous areas of production to be unused.
I do agree with the above: Anything is dangerous if the user is creative enough.
But also, if we do care about all people, nothing is dangerous...

Best regards

Thomas Hansen

Zero G toilets

Germ warfare technology. It is to cheap and easy to get started, and to expensive and difficult to controll. I'm afraid it is going to get out of hand.

What technologies are we not yet ready for?

1. What are the potential risks associated with emerging technologies?

2. How can we ensure ethical use of new technologies?

3. What challenges do we face in implementing new technologies?

4. How can we prepare for and adapt to the rapid pace of technological advancements?

5. What are the consequences of not being ready for new technologies?