1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What technology can be implemented in high school Chemistry courses?

1. Jun 12, 2017 #1

JTV

I'm looking for tested and proven technology for the high school chemistry class, can anyone suggest anything?
    It's a passion of mine to improve labs, and teaching lessons. Lately there has been a lot of emphasis on technology in the classroom. How do you implement any technology when there are curriculum requirements?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2017 #2
    I don't know what your budget is, but you should be able to get a used mass spectrometer for under $3K that would be able to demonstrate some pretty central elements of chemistry.

4. Jun 12, 2017 #3

JTV

I think 'instructional technology' is what I'm looking for.

5. Jun 12, 2017 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Log-log and semi-log graph paper, regular graph paper, scientific or graphing calculators, in the traditional sense.

If these are available in either a computerized fashion, or online, then this may also be helpful.In fact, I had already seen a few online-calculator sites, but point-plottable graphing sites I had found were poor.

For molecular models get actual molecular models. Students need the real thing; not something in/on a computer.

6. Jun 12, 2017 #5

JTV

I like the instrument idea, Mass Spec for $3K is pricey though. I've used spectrophotometers, pH meters, and Gilson automatic pipets which are cheap.
    I think using Excel to document and crunch data is useful. That's technology...and it's free.

7. Jun 12, 2017 #6
    Check out the Vernier sensors for chemistry.

There are also lots of computer programs for visualizing chemical compounds, bonds, etc. Many are free.

There are also a plethora of free graphing programs that can be used for data analysis and display.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted