Math or Philosophy: Which Minor is Best for an Economics Major?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Bogrune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, the individual is considering a career in Economics and is wondering whether to minor in Mathematics or Philosophy. They are seeking suggestions and opinions on the matter. The conversation also touches on the value of studying philosophy in college and the individual's personal experience with it. The suggestion is made to focus on taking courses that are interesting rather than pursuing a specific minor.
Bogrune
Fist I'd like to say, I'm sorry if I was supposed to post this under Career Guidance. After doing plenty of research, I found out that a career in Economics might be the right career for me, so I decided to major in Economics. One of the main reasons that I decided to major in economics was because I found out it requires plenty of knowledge in mathematics, which I'm quite fond of. Also because I read that you debate pretty often with other economists, and you do plenty of analysis. What I can't decide is whether I should minor in Mathematics or Philosophy after I transfer to a four-year university. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
My personal opinion on philosophy is that one doesn't need to go to school to learn it. Indeed, I'd take the position that going to school for philosophy sort of defeats the purpose. Philosophy is the art of the curious. School tends to squash that like a bug.

Mathematics, on the other hand, is not something most people can study by themselves. It's also useful, even if it just makes you more comfortable handling the mathematics in your economics classes, which is not going to be very difficult compared to that which you'd find even in a mathematics minor program.

I'd have to agree with Angry Citizen's position of philosophy in college. I loved the idea of taking a philosophy class, that is until I actually took one. The classroom setting for philosophical discussion really ruined it for me. Most of what was said was total garbage, people were just trying to participate because you got points for doing so.

Why do you want to have a minor?

Why not just fill your elective slots with courses you find interesting and see where it leads?

I would recommend that you choose the minor that aligns more closely with your interests and career goals. Both Mathematics and Philosophy can complement a major in Economics, but they offer different skills and perspectives.

If you are interested in pursuing a career in research or data analysis, a minor in Mathematics would provide you with strong analytical and quantitative skills that are highly valued in the field of Economics. On the other hand, if you are interested in exploring the ethical and philosophical implications of economic policies and theories, a minor in Philosophy would be a valuable addition.

I would also suggest considering the specific courses offered in each minor and how they may enhance your understanding and application of Economics. You could also reach out to professors or professionals in the field for advice and insight on which minor may be more beneficial for your future career. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal interests and goals, so take the time to carefully consider your options before making a decision. Good luck!

Related to Math or Philosophy: Which Minor is Best for an Economics Major?

1. What is the purpose of choosing a minor?

Choosing a minor allows you to explore a secondary area of interest while completing your major degree. It can also provide additional skills and knowledge that can be beneficial in your future career.

2. How do I choose a minor?

When choosing a minor, consider your interests, career goals, and the requirements of your major degree. Look for minors that complement your major and align with your career aspirations.

3. Can I have multiple minors?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple minors, but it may require you to take on a heavier course load. Make sure to consider the time and effort required for each minor before making a decision.

4. Do minors appear on my diploma?

Minors typically do not appear on your diploma, but they will be listed on your transcript. Employers may also ask for your transcript when considering you for a job, so having a minor can be beneficial in showcasing your additional skills and knowledge.

5. Can I change my minor after declaring it?

Yes, you can change your minor after declaring it, but it may require you to complete additional coursework. It is important to carefully consider your minor choice before declaring it to avoid any potential complications.