What to do about lazy PhD advisor.

• Programs
  • Thread starter Beeza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advisor Phd
In summary, this 5th year graduate student is doing 90% of the work in a Physics laboratory funded by a big Institute within the University, but their advisor comes into work for only 1-2 hours each day and assigns more lab work to my friend while he works on writing his book. The work load is getting increasingly unreasonable and my friend does not expect to graduate for 3-4 more years because of it. My friend is afraid of either going crazy or quitting (thus throwing away 3 years of research) and taking a masters degree. He should talk to his adviser and propose a plan or bring up the topic at his next meeting.
Beeza
Hi Guys,

This question doesn't pertain directly to me-- since I'm not a PhD student until next fall. However, I do have a friend that is really struggling with a terrible PhD advisor, and I would really appreciate you guys opinion (especially those of you in academia). I'll try to keep the story short.

With that being said, my friend, a 5th year grad student, does 90% of the work in a Physics laboratory (50% of which has nothing to do with their dissertation) funded by a big Institute (mostly composed of other departments) within the University. My friend's advisor comes into work for approximately 1-2 hours each day and assigns more lab work to my friend while he works on writing his book (which has nothing to do with Physics). My friend performs most of his research experiments for him (in addition to dissertation work), which he then proceeds to present at conferences as his own work. There are also no major grant-writing responsibilities because the funding is technically done through other departments. Furthermore, my friend oftentimes has to run errands for him (pick up mail, deliver packages, and help students that show up for his office hours that he is never there for). My friend has passed the doctoral exams, but is much too far into their dissertation work to start over under a new advisor. So far, my friend has been working on their dissertation for 3 years and really does not want to quit, but the work load is getting increasingly unreasonable and my friend does not expect to graduate for 3-4 more years because of it. My friend is afraid of either going crazy or quitting (thus throwing away 3 years of research) and taking a masters degree.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is dealing with a lazy PhD advisor is just something students have to deal with? Or, does my friend just need to get over it? I really have no idea, but certainly hope that 5 years from now, I am not in the same position.

Physics news on Phys.org
The moral of the story is to look before you leap. The best way to solve these kinds of situations is just to avoid them in the first place by not choosing an adviser that treats you like their personal assistant.

Since your friend is already into deep, he should probably just have a conversation with his adviser and let him know he doesn't want to be his lackey anymore. As far as doing all the lab work, helping students, and the misrepresentation at conferences, that isn't really all that uncommon. But running errands like picking up mail and delivering packages is over the line. I had a friend in a similar position but his adviser just didn't want to do any research work at all, just have my friend take classes. He ended up changing advisers.

Unfortunately the scenario you're describing isn't all that uncommon.

Most graduate students should have a supervisory committee in addition to an advisor. The committee is responsible for a regular (at least annual) review of the student's progress. A good supervisory committee should critically evaluate how the student is allocating time to his or her project. Thus one avenue this student could pursue is simply bringing up the topic at his or her next meeting and ask for the committee's guidance.

Similarly, one way of approaching the subject with the advisor is to simply propose a plan. Start out with: "My goal is to complete my dissertation in the next year. In order to do that I have to focus on ...(my own work) and I have to cut ...(lackey work you've assigned) out of my schedule. Does this sound feasible to you?"

Also, I wouldn't worry about how the professor spends his time. There's nothing much one can do about that.

1. What are the signs of a lazy PhD advisor?

Some signs of a lazy PhD advisor may include not responding to emails or requests for meetings in a timely manner, not providing constructive feedback on research progress, and not actively seeking opportunities for the student's professional development.

2. How can I address a lazy PhD advisor?

If you have a lazy PhD advisor, it's important to first communicate your concerns directly with them. Schedule a meeting to discuss your concerns and come prepared with specific examples of their inactivity and how it is impacting your progress. Be respectful but assertive in expressing your expectations and the need for more support.

3. What should I do if my PhD advisor is unresponsive?

If your PhD advisor is consistently unresponsive, it may be necessary to seek support from other faculty members or your department chair. They may be able to offer guidance on how to improve the situation or even suggest a change in advisors. Don't be afraid to speak up and advocate for yourself.

4. How can I stay motivated and productive with a lazy PhD advisor?

It can be challenging to stay motivated and productive when you have a lazy PhD advisor, but it's important to focus on your own goals and take initiative in your research. Seek support from other faculty members or colleagues, set specific deadlines for yourself, and regularly communicate your progress with your advisor to keep yourself accountable.

5. What are my options if I want to switch PhD advisors?

If you have exhausted all efforts to improve the situation with your lazy PhD advisor and still feel like you are not receiving the necessary support, it may be possible to switch advisors. Talk to your department chair or graduate program coordinator to explore your options and ensure a smooth transition to a new advisor.