What will happen to me with low marks in all my exams?

• Thread starter Suyash Singh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marks
In summary, In India, only 0.83% of people who attempt the IIT JEE get a rank of first division or better. This is because the exam has a very low success rate.
Suyash Singh
I got low marks in all my exams and i am sure i will continue to do so. Now what will happen to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's really up to you at this point.

A lot depends on why you're not performing to the level you would like. Some of the more common reasons include: a lack of interest in the material, a faulty base of fundamental skills, poor study habits or just the fact that habits that were successful in high school (i.e. cramming the night before the exam) don't work in university. Sometimes it's not a single reason, but a compound set of reasons.

Once you have a hard look at what you're doing and the reasons behind your performance, you can start developing a plan for addressing them. That's not always easy. Sometimes it means figuring out whether you're on a good academic path for you. Sometimes it means confronting sources of pressure that are pushing you in the wrong direction. Sometimes it's a matter of developing some self-discipline.

So, perhaps we could turn the question back to you. Why did you get low marks?

Choppy said:
Well, it's really up to you at this point.

A lot depends on why you're not performing to the level you would like. Some of the more common reasons include: a lack of interest in the material, a faulty base of fundamental skills, poor study habits or just the fact that habits that were successful in high school (i.e. cramming the night before the exam) don't work in university. Sometimes it's not a single reason, but a compound set of reasons.

Once you have a hard look at what you're doing and the reasons behind your performance, you can start developing a plan for addressing them. That's not always easy. Sometimes it means figuring out whether you're on a good academic path for you. Sometimes it means confronting sources of pressure that are pushing you in the wrong direction. Sometimes it's a matter of developing some self-discipline.

So, perhaps we could turn the question back to you. Why did you get low marks?
I have tried extremely hard but to fail again and again. This is because of the extremely low success ratio in all the exams (0.1 percent) . I come in the top 8 percent but it is low

Also i am interested in computer science and engineering but i have to study pcm to get that :|. I am getting CSE in tier 3 college and i know i would excel in CSE but i am worried that my company when i am working won't give me promotions because of bad university. Also for the rest of my life everyone will see my bad marks. :(

If you are resolved to continue getting low marks, nothing good.

Suyash Singh said:
Also i am interested in computer science and engineering but i have to study pcm to get that
What is pcm?

Suyash Singh said:
i know i would excel in CSE but i am worried that my company when i am working won't give me promotions because of bad university.
It's possible you might not get hired by a particular company due to the university you graduated from, but once you're hired, promotions depend only on your work performance. I've never heard of a company not promoting someone because of his or her grades.

Suyash Singh said:
Also for the rest of my life everyone will see my bad marks.
This isn't true, either. Once you have established some work experience, no one really cares about your grades in college.

Likes Suyash Singh
Suyash Singh said:
This is because of the extremely low success ratio in all the exams (0.1 percent) .
How did you come up with this number?
What this says is that only one student out of a thousand was successful, which implies that 999 of those students weren't successful. This ratio makes me question the abilities of the teachers if almost none of the students managed to succeed.

Likes Suyash Singh
Can you clarify which exams these were? End-of-semester exams for high school or university, or entrance exams for some highly selective university, or what?

Likes Suyash Singh
Indian exams -
IIT JEE mains (i qualified for advanced but rank is very bad in mains)
IIT JEE advanced (results not out)
BITSAT( bad marks again)

I got CSE in amity

Mark44 said:
What is pcm?
Physics Chemistry Mathematics

Mark44 said:
How did you come up with this number?
What this says is that only one student out of a thousand was successful, which implies that 999 of those students weren't successful. This ratio makes me question the abilities of the teachers if almost none of the students managed to succeed.
Out of 13 lakh (1.3 million ) children there are only about 20000 seats out of which 50 % are reserved for women and other special categories.
So 10000 seats out of which only 5000 top seats are respectable

For general category= 5000/600000= 5/600 = 0.0083 that is 0.83 percent (ok greater than 0.1 percent but still really low)

PS-
Reserved category person- 73 out of 360 marks(highest marks for reserved) gets top college
General male- 300 to 350 out of 360 then top college

For general 74 is the cutoff qualifying marks and at 73 the reserved ones top the exam

Last edited by a moderator:
Suyash Singh said:
Out of 13 lakh (1.3 million ) children there are only about 20000 seats out of which 50 % are reserved for women and other special categories.
So 10000 seats out of which only 5000 top seats are respectable
Your statistics seem phony to me. "Out of 13 lakh (1.3 million) children ... " What fraction of students graduating from high school go on to university?
Suyash Singh said:
I got low marks in all my exams and i am sure i will continue to do so. Now what will happen to me?
The obvious choice would be to study more to get higher grades. If you're sure you will continue to get low grades, then I agree with what @Vanadium 50 said.

Mark44 said:
Your statistics seem phony to me. "Out of 13 lakh (1.3 million) children ... " What fraction of students graduating from high school go on to university?
The obvious choice would be to study more to get higher grades. If you're sure you will continue to get low grades, then I agree with what @Vanadium 50 said.
Its India with 1.2 billion people. 1.3 million children from science stream give University entrance exams each year

Ok guys i am going to Tier 3 colleges then.
I am 100% sure i will get 9 pointer out of 10 in college.
Amazon hires 8 to 9 pointer students

You make your status unsure for us. You PLAN to go to those institutions or you ARE IN THOSE institutions? Year of age you say in profile is a bit young for university or college. In case you are in high school now, is there a remediation or remedial school you can attend before going to a university or higher institute?

The OP is no longer with us, so I'm closing this thread.

What are the reasons for getting low marks?

There could be many reasons for getting low marks, such as lack of understanding of the subject, not studying enough, poor time management, or personal issues affecting academic performance.

How can I improve my grades?

To improve your grades, you can try creating a study schedule, seek help from a tutor or teacher, actively participate in class, review your notes regularly, and practice past exams or assignments.

Is it too late to improve my grades?

No, it is never too late to improve your grades. With determination, hard work, and the right strategies, you can see a significant improvement in your academic performance.

What if I don't understand the material?

If you are struggling to understand the material, don't hesitate to seek help from your teacher, classmates, or a tutor. You can also try breaking down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks and reviewing it regularly.

How can I stay motivated to improve my grades?

To stay motivated, set realistic goals, reward yourself for achieving them, surround yourself with supportive and encouraging people, and remember the long-term benefits of good grades.