What topics should I review for self-studying differential equations?

• Thread starter aspiring_one
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self-study
In summary, Differentiation, integration techniques, and linear algebra are the important concepts you need to know for calculus if you want to self-study. Differentiation, integration techniques, and linear algebra are the important concepts you need to know for calculus.
aspiring_one
Hello,

I was wondering what topics I should consider brushing up on in order to self-study differential equations. I had to take a semester with no math class but I'm still competent in algebra, trig, and some concepts of calculus (up to multivariable). Are there any topics in calculus or maths in general that I should specifically review?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiation, integration techniques, and linear algebra.

Fizex said:
Differentiation, integration techniques, and linear algebra.

Thanks, what sorts of multivariable calc should I know or seem useful?

aspiring_one said:
Thanks, what sorts of multivariable calc should I know or seem useful?

just partial derivatives. There aren't many multivariable calc topics on ODE's. Maybe brush up on your vectors though.

Also brush up on your power series.

Thank you all for your replies. Should I pay any attention to graphs and max's and mins? that type of stuff. Can you graph a diff eq? also shall i bother with the shell,washer,and disc methods? what about reimann sums, the trapezoid rule, and simpsons rule for approximating area?

Thanks again, I really want to put my effort on the right topics.

I am self-studying ODEs right now and the important concepts you need from Calculus are

Chain Rule of Derivatives, separable functions, euler's method/direction fields, a little bit of limits and just maybe improper integrals. Also chain rules in partial derivatives

You can't typically "graph a diff eq" per se, because most differential equations have an infinite number of solutions, depending on your initial and boundary conditions. A simple example would be y'(x)=y(x), which could mean y=e^x, y=2e^x, or y=3e^x, etc. What you can do is draw a solution set, which looks kind of like a contour map, showing a representative sample of the various possible solutions. Insofar as you're concerned, though, this means optimization (finding maxes/mins) plays a relatively small role in ODEs, although it does have some applications in PDEs.

The shell, washer, and disc methods aren't used much in ODEs either. However, they certainly could crop up in some applications, as they and ODEs are both widely-applicable techniques. You can probably get through ODEs without them, but you should know them anyway.

Riemann sums, the trapezoidal rule, and the like will probably show up if you study any numerical methods of solving differential equations. I wouldn't bother learning all the nitty gritty details, though: just have a feel for the general philosophy behind them, and you should be ok.

You can graph an ODE, it represents a vector field so it won't look like a regular function graph, per se. This website gives a quick overview of vector fields, I didn't read through but look at the pictures, it should ring a bell from calc 3:

http://www.sosmath.com/diffeq/slope/slope1.html

Arnold (V.I. Arnold - "Ordinary Differential Equations") says a differential equation IS a vector field. His approach is very geometric. I started to read through it and got a good ways in but detoured to read calculus on manifolds (more rigorous multivariable calc) so I could get more out of arnold's book. However, the beginning parts of the book are not too mathematically intense and will give a very good idea of what differential equations are and what vector fields are, and I really recommend reading it (the beginning anyways - I'm really looking forward to getting back to the rest of it, but it's definitely higher level).

If what you're taking is an intro class to differential equations in college - IE the class that usually comes after the regular calculus sequence - I really wouldn't fret about it too much. You will probably find it to be much less challenging then calc 2 or 3. Some specific things you may want to make sure you know: product rule, integration techniques like integration by parts (single variable), eigenvalues if your class is going to go over systems of DE's... and that's really it. The class could probably be summed up on 3 peices of paper - it's mostly recognizing certain types of differential equations and solving them with cut and paste methods.

Also, if you haven't studied differential equations before, you're probably not going to encounter PDE's in your first class/book.

That's not accurate. My DE class will cover some PDE's, but to what depth I'm not certain.

Thanks for the input osnarf. Vector fields sound sort of similar to gradients but I am not sure. Anyway the course is supposed to cover ODE's, PDE's and Fourier series. I really understood calculus through a geometrical and physical approach so I'll look into that book, hopefully my library has it.

Lol mine didn't go anywhere near pde's, that's in emath, sorry for assuming it was the same elsewhere.

OP: if you do read it, after a little ways in it starts to get pretty hard, i only meant to read the beginning before it gets too technical. Like I said I had to put it down and go learn more first so don't get discouraged once you get to the point in talking about, its not you, it's meant for people who already know a good bit about the material. If you do get it Bravo lol.

1. What are ODE's and PDE's?

ODE's (ordinary differential equations) are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives with respect to a single independent variable. PDE's (partial differential equations) are similar, but involve derivatives with respect to more than one independent variable.

2. Why is self-study of ODE's and PDE's important?

Self-study of ODE's and PDE's is important for scientists because these equations are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, from physics and engineering to biology and economics. Understanding these equations can help in making predictions and solving problems in various fields.

3. What are some common techniques for solving ODE's and PDE's?

Some common techniques for solving ODE's and PDE's include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and Fourier series. Additionally, numerical methods such as Euler's method and the finite difference method can also be used.

4. What are the challenges of self-studying ODE's and PDE's?

One of the main challenges of self-studying ODE's and PDE's is the abstract nature of these equations. It can be difficult to understand their physical meaning and how they relate to real-world problems. Additionally, the wide range of techniques and methods for solving these equations can be overwhelming for self-study.

5. What are some resources for self-studying ODE's and PDE's?

There are many resources available for self-studying ODE's and PDE's, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some recommended textbooks include "Elementary Differential Equations" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, and "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow. Online courses such as those offered by Coursera and edX can also be useful for self-study.