What Type of Cable Should I Use for My Recessed Lighting Retrofit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter yungman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electrician
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
yungman
Messages
5,741
Reaction score
291
I am putting in recess lighting in my house, I am retrofitting it, not a new build. I want to find out what kind of cable I should use to hook up the lights. I take that it should be 3 wires ( Black, white and green) in one type. Is 20A good enough? Of cause I am not using close to 20A, but I want to do it right so I can even pass the safety code inspection. Please advice.

Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to follow your local rules for electrical installation then you really should read them. They vary from country to country and I think they are available wherever you are. Wire colouring and fusing requirements all vary around the World. 'Common sense' is not enough to satisfy an inspector!
 
yungman said:
I am putting in recess lighting in my house, I am retrofitting it, not a new build. I want to find out what kind of cable I should use to hook up the lights. I take that it should be 3 wires ( Black, white and green) in one type. Is 20A good enough? Of cause I am not using close to 20A, but I want to do it right so I can even pass the safety code inspection. Please advice.

Thanks

It is good that you are going to have it inspected and signed off when you are done. As centaur says, you need to check with that building department (that will be the one to sign off on the work) to find out what your local electrical codes require.