What type of engineering to go into?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in engineering as a major in college, specifically engineering mechanics, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering. They mention their preference for classical mechanics and inquire about the differences between higher level engineering mechanics and classical mechanics, the market value of engineering degrees, and which field is more relevant in today's world. They also ask about the necessity of a high level engineering mechanics degree for studying human movement and its applications.
Ishida52134
Well, I'll be entering college in the fall and I have yet to decide on a major. I am interested in engineering, but there are multiple fields that I am interested in: engineering mechanics, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering. The reason I want to do either engineering mechanics or mechanical engineering is because I like classical mechanics.

1) Is higher level engineering mechanics simply classical mechanics?

2) Which one is more rewarding in industry jobs?

3) Which one is more needed on today's world? Mechanics or Electronics?

4) Say I wanted to study the movement of a person. Would a high level degree in engineering mechanics be necessary?

5) What would a high level engineering mechanics degree be necessary for to analyze?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) "Simply" classical mechanics? No.
2) Pretty much all engineering degrees are valued in the job market.
3) Depends on the location and the field.
4) You don't need a degree to "study" anything. Whether or not you want your research to be meaningful is a different story.
5) ? Things that require a deeper understanding of engineering?

is electrical engineering or mechanical engineering more valued in today's market?
Like electronics or mechanics?

1. What is the difference between mechanical and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is concerned with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as machines, tools, and engines. Electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. Is computer engineering the same as computer science?

No, computer engineering and computer science are two distinct fields. Computer engineering combines principles of electrical engineering and computer science to design and develop computer hardware and software systems. Computer science, on the other hand, focuses on the theory and algorithms behind computing.

3. What skills are necessary for civil engineering?

Civil engineering requires a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and design principles. Additionally, good communication, problem-solving, and project management skills are essential for success in this field.

4. Can I switch between engineering disciplines after graduation?

Yes, it is possible to switch between engineering disciplines after graduation, but it may require additional education or training. It is important to research the specific requirements and make a well-informed decision before making a switch.

5. How does environmental engineering differ from other engineering fields?

Environmental engineering focuses on protecting the environment and promoting sustainability through the application of engineering principles. This can include designing and implementing solutions for issues such as air and water pollution, waste management, and sustainable energy systems.