1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What undergradute degree would be best in order to get into nanomedicine, computational biology etc

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    I have a choice between Physics and Biomedical science

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2

Rocket50

Gold Member

For the purposes listed in the title, obviously biomedical science.

4. Sep 20, 2014 #3
    Would the physics not provide me with a stronger background though? As in for the nanotechnology parts?

5. Sep 20, 2014 #4

Rocket50

Gold Member

In computational biology and the other fields you are talking about, the main focus will still be on the biology part. You'll just be using methods from other disciplines.

6. Sep 20, 2014 #5

esuna

Gold Member

Depends. In the case of computational biology, it's an interdisciplinary field. For a biologist it could just be a tool set, but you have physicists, mathematicians, computer scientists developing those tools and collaborating with biologists in order to test their models with experimental observation.

Also with only an undergraduate degree you'll only be a research assistant. And for those types of openings "computational biology research associate/assistant" I've only ever seen them require quantitative disciplines like physics, math, statistics, and computer science. Experience with software packages like MATLAB and R are usually some of the main desired skills.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook